Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likelihood of getting a job with just English as a subject?

Options
  • 24-11-2021 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello.

Planning on studying Religion and English and Education. However, I'm highly concerned they might cut Religion from the curriculum a few years down the line, as its a sensitive topic for some people.

I'm also concerned about the volume of concurrent teacher courses there are in Ireland that offer Religion as a teaching subject between DCU, St Angela's and MIC. There must be 200+ religion teachers being fully qualified every year. There is no way every single one of them find employment.

So in short, my question is, in the unlikely event Religion is cut from the course or I can't find a job in a school that needs both a religion and English teacher, what are the chances of me getting a job in a school with just English as a subject? I know Irish and Maths it is likely - but not sure about English.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joshwicklow

Wow that is great advice - thank you so much. Do you happen to know the name of the Politics and Society course? Would love to see if there are any similar ones for History. English, History and Religion sounds like a great combination! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

You’ll be fine with English and religion. Be wary of trying to mix and match. Your plan is fine as it is and religion is unlikely to be dropped anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not chance of cutting RE from second level schooling. It's an exam common level paper in most community schools, (not sure about ETB) as it covers all major religions and none, it's very different to what's done in primary schools. Senior RE tends to be more of a humanities study with different schools taking different approaches like module based, guest speakers, etc.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement