Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you had your Covid booster shot yet?

Options
  • 24-11-2021 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭

If you are eligible* for a covid booster shot and have not been notified, be aware that you may not be contacted and will have to make an appointment, either through your GP's website or through the HSE.

Some GPs are not notifying people and you are expected to somehow know that you need to make an appointment, despite radio ads saying you will be called. So if you are still patiently waiting, do make some enquiries with your GP's surgery.

*Over 60 and shortly to include over 50s, plus people with underlying conditions, and over 6 months since your second shot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

I know of someone in 60s group who got a text this week - appt date is 5 months and 3 days since 2nd vax in MVC.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, my post will not apply to everyone, some surgeries will notify. I am just suggesting that if you don't hear then pursue it in case your surgery is not doing it.

Good advice - most of the elderly people I know got their boosters in the same surgery as original vaccines but I know that some GPs aren't doing boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Being boosted on Friday morning. A couple of friends were feeling pretty uggy after it so I'm gearing myself up for the same and fingers crossed it might not be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭beachhead

only over 70s will seen by their gp.also,included for vaccination by gp will be vulnerable groups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is the point I am making, I am over 70 and was not notified by GP - 'we are only calling over 80's' - anyone under that has to 'know' to make an appointment. I am just trying to let people know that they may need to take the initiative and not just wait for an appointment.

Absolutely good idea to make sure we seniors know what we need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I tried to get a 'walk in ' vaccine done at clinic in Belfield but was turned away as was few days short of the 5 mths since last dose... not quite 70 yrs but nearly!

I'm suffering with sore arm and lethargy right now, feel like sleeping for a week! Over two hours standing in the queue at City West - crazy!

There is a list of pharmacies who are giving boosters on the HSE website - you can contact them for an appointment.

• Advertisement

Just looked at that list and all seem to be doing Flu vaccine and no mention of Covid booster or other.

Some of them are definitely offering covid boosters

Too many people turned up together with those with appointments

It seems some GPs have different priorities regarding age of their patients for jabs.I enquired during a normal surgery visit and was told by my GP that the surgery is doing over 70's -working thru their patients lists and that under 70's can only be done at vaccination centres.The HSE are not allowing GPs to vaccinate below that age.Over 70s I know are still waiting

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Getting boosted in Enniscorthy on Tuesday. I think the Wexford 60-69 "cohort" pretty much all got Pfizer in the first place so their 5 months is largely up. Means a 3trd Pfizer, but looking at all the reports it improves protection back above the 2 dose position

I heard there was some problem in organisation and everyone, appointments, non-appointments, boosters and walk-ins all ended up in Citywest, add to that the testing clinic also on site and that will tell you the mayhem there was with people and traffic. One of my neighbours was in a queue at Citywest for over 4 hours and she's nearly 70. I don't know how her poor kidneys held out!! The poor staff were doing trojan work dealing with the numbers. Traffic was mayhem. What actually happened? We'll never know the actual truth.

I got second jab July 1st (delayed a couple of weeks as had to quarantine) so hope to get done on Dec 1st. Yes my GP only doing over 70's and immuno compromised younger. We had to attend Aviva for first jabs yet I heard of other younger ones who were done by GP's and have already had booster from them as well. It seems a postcode lottery.

Advertisement