Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Done Deal selling scam

Options
  • 24-11-2021 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Not sure how this one plays out, but it must be a scam. Anyone else seen it?

Put some furniture on done deal, asking €200.

Quick response from 'buyer' looking for final price; quote €170.

Agrees to buy:

"Okay, I want to buy it. And I want to use a DHL money order, which consists of DHL agents delivering the money in cash to your address in exchange for the package."

Knew it was off, but was curious..., said I had not heard of this and asked how this worked; got this reply.

"I explain to you, after I will have made the mandate in your name as planned an agent of DHL will come to your residence for the handing-over of your money in person and once you will know received the money in person on behalf of the agent of DHL you will go thereafter to hand over the goods and the transaction is closed apart from that you do not have anything else to make, DHL will take care of the goods in charge"

Asked how long this would take...

"At 6.30 pm the company would be at your home to hand over the money followed by the collection of the package and then send it to my home. Then I will need your: Name/ First name/ Email address/ Postal address"

Thanks.

John

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

1. Fake money after asking for an additional delivery fee so you're out money and the items.

2. "DHL" guy knows nothing about the money, but seller sends you "proof" of payment to your bank etc so you hand it over anyway

3. "DHL" person demands fees by bank/PayPal in advance. Then doesn't show.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Selling on Donedeal is ok if you stick to only selling to someone who is paying cash into your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

and it is very unlikely that it will genuinely be DHL. I had one recently and he said Parcelforce will collect.

Donedeal can be very good, but you need your wits about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Redhenrun

Phew! Just avoided being scammed via a similar response to a Donedeal ad I had up and the promise to pay me via DHL.

Got a text expressing interest in the item I'd up for sale and shortly after stating they were interested in the product order. Said they'd transfer the full price of the product to my card and a courier would pick it up.

Fifteen minutes later, stated that they had paid for everything and sent me a link with dhl.lending4.site in it, urging me to go to the link and enter the card I wanted to be paid through.

Lovely profile pic of a wedding couple in the whats app profile of the scammer. Hope no one else gets caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lmc73

Same here tonight.

Got a text shortly after I put up golf clubs on Done Deal this evening.

Offered to pay with DHL and courier will collect.

Said they had paid and just to put in my card details on the link.

Same picture of wedding couple in the whats app profile of the scammer and an address in Muff in Donegal.

Thankfully, I was suspicious and did not enter any card details.

It was obvious they knew nothing about the golf clubs I was selling.

Just be careful everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

Got same scam attempt from dude with same picture of wedding couple in the whats app profile of the scammer and an address in Muff in Donegal.

super fast canned responses, no real interest in item and then sends a fake link 'dhl.pays-me.info' ... not suspicious at all 🙄

Reported to DHL, DoneDeal and Gardai. Don't expect anything to be done about it of course....

"Attempts have been made to defraud Internet shoppers by the unauthorised use of the DHL name and brand via email communications and graphics which appear, on the surface, to have originated from DHL.

In most cases the communications concern the sale of consumer goods over the Internet where payment may be requested before the goods are delivered.

Please be advised that DHL does not request payment in this manner. DHL only collects money due for official DHL related shipping expenses.

"

Advertisement