Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fitting an fm antenna to my new stereo

Options
  • 24-11-2021 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭

I got a Akai aa-m8l stereo radio receiver second hand and it has come without an fm antenna although there is a point on it at the back for a 75 ohm antenna.

It looked like a terrestrial tv antenna would go into it (I have a few) but it was little too large.

Can I order this part online (or from shop) and work away as if it was a normal tv antenna?(attach a coaxial

cable and solder a couple of extensions)

Or is it just as easy (and cheap) to buy a 75 ohm fm radio antenna)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Sounds like you just need a common tv aerial 'joiner' to act as an adaptor on the socket of the receiver.

Connecting to a TV aerial may give acceptable results on FM depending on a number of factors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belling-Lee_connector

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭amandstu

Great idea. I had one of those to hand as well as an indoor tv aerial that I was able to connect ,using that joiner to the back of the radio.

No noticeable difference in reception though.

Maybe a proper fm radio aerial would give better results???

Reception is not too bad even so .I think I will relocate the radio to a better part of the house and see if reception improves away from the thick walls where it is now.

It might just be the radio itself(or my own hearing )

It is an Akai AA-M8L btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Does the indoor TV aerial have two long (when extended) telescopic rods? These are for VHF (including FM radio) . Try positioning it so that one rod is going straight up and the other one straight down which might give best results

I have a feeling that the radio itself might not be as good as I hoped.

I did take it to a good part of the house and connected the indoor aerial .The reception was similar to previously and I thought at first that the aerial was not making a difference.

But then I noticed that if the radio was just off the station (rte) without the aerial that it would catch the station fine as soon as I connected the serial (the light would come on to indicate that the tuning was good)

But even so the quality of the reception was not quite as good as I hoped.

I also noticed that the flex for the speakers interfered badly with reception(they are long flexes but not unwound,which seems to make it worse)

By moving the speakers a bit there was no hissing ....

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

Bit pricey but maybe be ideal for your Stereo..

https://www.adverts.ie/cables/indoor-fm-radio-antenna-dipole/24471589

• Advertisement

Not sure .I have a small rabbit ears indoor aerial attached now and I suspect I am getting the best out of the stereo as the lights come on (when I attach it and position it right) and yet the clarity is not as good as I hoped.

I feel that probably this is a stereo that is "adequate" but not very exciting (not really hifi)

I only paid 35 for it on adverts.ie and so,if I remain disgruntled it should not be to hard to get a better one down the road

Advertisement