Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrinkflation: What's the end game?

Options
  • 23-11-2021 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭

Take a can of gin, has gone from

330ml

280ml

250ml

to

200ml

We all see it, they usually disguise the BS in a 4-pack etc.

I assume it will keep shrinking but at some point there's nothing left. Must be some marketeers amongst ye. Please put down your crackpipes and explain to me the end game in the shrinkflation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭blackbox

The marketeers will tell you they are only concerned about your health. ...nothing to do with money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Shrink the chocolate bars, then shortly thereafter bring out a large/double size.

The customer is habituated to the old 'regular' size. The new small regular size is a reduction in what they were used to. *no i want more, thats not fair, reeeeeeeee*.

They now buy the double.

Or if no double size, two of the new small versions.

You have increased sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Can happen after swimming, or if you’re generally cold, alright.

The tide is turning…

Alice in Consumerland. The end game of shrinkflation is products that are twice the price you are currently paying despite being invisible to the naked eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The point of shrinkflation is to keep the price the same rather than customer pissed off the price is constantly increasing.people are far more price concious than volume / weight concious when looking at products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I recently saw a video of a can of shaving foam, if you cut the label you could see approximately 30% of the container was just air.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,070 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If this is a spray-can, the container has to contain a lot of gas. It's pressurized gas that forces the stuff out, and indeed that "foams" it in the first place. If the can was completely occupied by shaving cream, you couldn't get it out.

If you're willing to forego the convenience of the spray action, you can get shaving cream or gel in a tube, squeeze it out and apply it with a brush. Costs less, too. But if you buy the spray cans, don't complain about the gas inside. It's the gas that provides the convenience that you are paying extra for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

In fairness they have the excuse of needeing headspace for propellant, plus foam expands as it is released, so there's that.

There's no fkin excuse for Kellogs doing it though. They half fill their boxes! How has there not been an EU rule on this to stop them wasting packaging. of course they'll say 'oh we sell on weight not volume' but what proportion of people check the weight? Shower of misleading fks - A Lidl cereal box is literally half the size for the same amount of cereal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

contents may settle in transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

By 2035, the sweets we get now in boxes of Heroes and Celebrations will be the full size bars out on the checkout shelf, and those boxes will just contain the smell of chocolate and caramel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They sell by weight not volume.

Ice cream sells by volume not weight. If you've ever let a tub of it melt you'll get an idea of how much air is in the mix.

For things like processed meat and cheese adding polyphosphates means they can pump even more water into them.

There is also this sneaky trick where Molson Coors saved £50m by not putting the advertised amount of alcohol in their beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

What's a can of gin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'ts a can, with gin in it. Like the way a can with beans in it is a "can of beans", although as an Irish child of the 70s, I'd usually refer to it as a "tin" rather than a "can". However, a "can of worms" isn't actually can with worms in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

If I understand evolution, then I believe humans will begin to shrink to keep pace with their source of food.

Can of gin doesn't sound right... maybe it's gin mixed with a tonic or something. Never saw a vodka/whisky/brandy/gin drink in a can on its own, unless it was mixed with a soft drink,,,

Advertisement