Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Development After U17

Options
  • 23-11-2021 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if your club (or you aware if another club) are doing anything which you feel has been successful in developing players fresh out of minor to retain them to eventually integrate them into your adult team.

Whilst I appreciate you're always going to have lads stepping away or not committing fully to adult hurling/football due to the massive commitment it now takes I feel our club isn't doing, well, anything to help bridge that gap. Currently they just train with the adult team from the start of the year and that's it.

Are you doing anything different? All ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CaboRoig

Sorry for the delayed reply. I heard that in Rhode GAA, one the most successful clubs in Offaly, their seniors and minors train on the same night and they have a half an hour crossover period. Aimed at integrating the minors into the senior squad for the following year.

My home club does something similar in that lads in their last year of minor train with the seniors on an on and off basis depending on when their own games are etc. It works well. We've hung on to a few middling lads through it and they are important second team players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Plenty of ideas for you here :D. One I came across is where clubs in Meath have kept their post minor lads together in the Premier (second, third etc teams) competition. Of two clubs I know that done it one won their division and the other was bet in the final after extra time. In fact the county board are going a step further to encourage it this year, and where teams normally amalgamate at minor and 20s can put the amalgamated team into the Premier competitions too.

Advertisement