Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adding second battery to car via accessory fuse

• 22-11-2021 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am adding a second battery to the boot of my car to run my dashcam in parking mode for extended periods. I had a 12v 14ah SLA battery lying around so decided to simply tap into an accessory fuse and hook this right up. The battery charges when the car is running and stops when car is off, providing constant supply to the dashcam, until a cutoff voltage of 12.2v is reached.

Question is, is this safe? I hear of people using a battery isolater in between, but I don't think it's necessary.

I have a solar controller lying around, perhaps I should add this in-between. The 'solar input' side can come from the accessory fuse, and hook the battery side up to my 14ah battery. is this safer or not at all necessary?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭whizbang

Your problem will come when your SLA battery has discharged down to a low level. The alternator/Car battery combination will pump as much current as it can to get the voltage back up. This hopefully will just blow a fuse, rather than blow the cables or battery..!

You dont need an 'Isolator' - just have someway you can disconnect the battery quickly.

Solar controller sounds like a plan - it should limit the charge current, and if it has a lo voltage load cutoff, your golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭whizbang

Woops, Sorry just noticed the op date....

Advertisement