Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle Trailers

Options
  • 22-11-2021 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have friends in Ireland that are having trouble sourcing a motorbike trailer. The reason they are looking for a trailer is partly because one of my friends has health issues and wants to be able to ride intermittently. The reason I mention it is that the trailer solution can't be overly onerous in terms of getting the bike up and down. He will have help from his missus, but is really wondering how tricky this process is. So I guess the question is two-fold.

1. Where to find motorbike trailers and advice regarding models etc.
    2. Do ppl have practical advice when it comes to actually loading and unloading machines onto/off a trailer.

Thanks in advance all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can get drop trailers where you just ride/push the bike onto it and then it'll lift the bike up. First result on Google is below, no idea if it's any good but an idea of what to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

He should consider buying one of the purpose built trailers that drop to road level for loading and unloading. It'll save his marriage and will be worth good money when he gives up biking. Similar to the one posted above but UK based so tax and duty will be loaded on.

http://www.cmftrailers.co.uk/easyload-motorcycle-trailer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks guys - both these look very practical. I'm wondering if maybe I need one myself, lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Nobody needs a trailer all the year round. So if your mate can see the logic then buy one between you and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That UK-made one looks interesting.

I've been looking at this for a while, and I have access to a friends' trailer.

But, I always seem to need it last-minute, and have to go & get it. I'd like to be able to put bigger bikes on it, as tbh, loading up a Harley or GoldWing on a thing with ramps is a complete PITA. I just counted back and I think I've had to borrow a trailer or van at least a half-dozen times this year, for one reason or another.

So, I want a floor-dropping trailer, and one big enough to take at least 2 bikes, and probably 2 big ones.

Ultimately, it's down to budget. There are a few very nice ones I've taking a shine too - all in the €3k range though :

Unsinn.de:

Cochet (France):

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Franm

I use a Motolug trailer and what's really great about it is that you can take it all apart and transport it in the car. And it stores in a corner of the shed. Just search for the Motolug site in the UK. Lots of videos online as well.

Some bits are heavy though and ideally you need two people to load them in to the car.

Advertisement