Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Married Women who only choose to take their married name because it sounds sexier

Options
  • 22-11-2021 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Discuss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

What's to discuss?

My Mrs was delighted to take my name cos her initials became GOD and nobody fúcks with GOD!

Well apart from me and sure I'm BOD so GOD is getting the rod from BOD!

Sexy out 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I know a man who took his wifes surname because it sounded cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

An uncle of mine did similar, took his wife's name and went double-barrelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I remember when I was starting out in the “working world” someone changed their name by deed poll to something completely different. Was only slightly cooler too.

It’s a lot more hassle to travel with kids if the surname on their passport doesn’t match yours. So there is merit to either taking on a “married name” or giving the kids a double barrelled one, like the Spanish.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gluppers

The celebrity world (and micro celebrity world) has many examples of it

Amy Huberman wouldn't dare change her name to Amy O'Driscoll

Jennifer what's her face on 2FM was always going to choose Zamparelli

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

^^ It would have been much better to post that content into your op instead of "discuss"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

there's nothing sexy about married women...sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

What’s a sexy surname? O’Rgasm? McMoist?

Maybe Cockburn would be for some people, but I’m a bit more vanilla than that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone with a double barrelled name should have to pay double income tax.

Lol...forgot to add double.

Post edited by Atlantic Dawn on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

We must be getting close to the Celtic Tiger double barrelled kids pairing up. What happens then. Will the poor child of the union of Ronan O'Connell-Smith and Nicole McCarthy-Murphy end up as Adele McCarthy-Murphy-O'Connell-Smith

I just thought people do it as a way to feel closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭JPup

Believe it or not they make you pay income tax no matter how many surnames you've got!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I have an aunt who changed her first name from Phil to Philomena when she got married.

At the time she kinda had to take the surname of the man she married. He was Tom McGee.

So Phil McGee just wasnt gonna cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭seenitall

Fun fact: actress Olivia Wilde’s birth name is Olivia Cockburn. So she just kinda went with a tamer version of her surname for professional purposes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

My wife uses her maiden name. No problem with that- never even discussed quite frankly.

Mrs Partguinness is my mother and grandmother anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

There was a couple on the quiz Only Connect a few months ago who changed their surnames to a merged version when they married. I don't remember their names exactly but it was something like Ashley Haywood and Darren Mansfield became the Hayfields. 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

If I was doing it again, my wife's name wouldn't matter a sh1t , until children come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I prefer the Spanish way of doing things: you get your father's first surname and your mother's first surname and those are your surnames for the rest of your life.

I wouldn't have wanted or expected my wife to change her surname when we got married. It's something that's quite possessive, like 'you're mine now, use my surname'. It also changes her into a different entity, not the person I fell in love with and wanted to marry.

Whenever we go to Ireland, my wife jokes that she's Mrs. HalloweenJack but that's the height of it.

If we ever have kids, they'll have two surnames as they do in Spain: my surname and her first surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I used to work with a guy and when he got married her took the wife's surname and double barrelled with his surname. He figured it sounded 'posher' and would open more doors for him- this is in England where they think about crap like that.

Then again, this is also the same guy who took time off work when his hamster was sick and was absolutely devastated when it died- three days off to mourn. He spent £3k at the vet. He was called in by the bosses and told to "cop the **** on" as they thought it was a joke and the staff just pulling the piss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement