Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite cold weather/winter meals?

Options
  • 21-11-2021 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

It finally dropping towards freezing in my neck of the woods and I am celebrating by making a big pot of Guinness stew. What are your favorite things to cook when the weather gets cold?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I cook a lot of curries but if I was to choose, it'd be a Beef Madras to bring the drip to the nose 😀

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's a pity that we don't have (m)any places selling hot broth. I'd much rather a steaming hot cup of borscht or stock in cold weather, over a coffee.

I love Madras curry! Which kind of beef cut do you recommend? I see chuck in the recipes I just googled, would that be the same as casserole/stewing beef here? 1 hour 45 minutes cooking time. I'm fairly clueless when it comes to meat.

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/madras-beef-curry/cbb6fb57-dea5-453b-9214-ed68c3e017f1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Shepherd's pie, cottage pie, beef/Guinness stew are my winter staples. And lasagne.

All a fairly major faff to make from scratch, so I make loads for the freezer when I'm at it.

And during lockdown last year I discovered beef stroganoff - that'll be going on the menu as well!

I've noticed how kale has been so good and fresh recently, must be the time of year, but I've been on a kale binge. Tossed in the pan with a bit of olive oil, garlic and chilli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Goulash or any sort of boney beef stew with paprika mixed in.

Garlic sausage stew or cassoulet is great too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yeah......I'd just buy a tray of beef cubes. Slow cook. And "mature" the curry overnight or for a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Chicken thigh and sausage casserole is a favourite in our house all year round but especially nice on a cold day.

Chopped thighs and browned sausages, a spoon of chilli, spoon of pakrika, pack of passata, a stock pot and a cup of water, into the slow cooker for 3/4 hours, add in half a bag of mixed veg and cook another hour. Served with some brown soda bread or porridge bread.

Simple and delicious.

Post edited by .red. on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I was just listening to a chef on the Tim Ferris podcast last week who is launching a range of Bone Broths in the U.S. - https://www.brodo.com/

It could be the next health food trend to catch-on. Time to give up the day job and start producing it here?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Bone broth ie.... stock?

Put leftover chicken carcass in water with herbs. Simmer. Done.

Doesn't everyone do this anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Stew would be a great winter street food. But the whole street food thing hasn't really caught on here yet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd suspect that those who make homemade stocks are very much in the minority.

Bone broth had been a bit of a thing in USA for quite a while now. It's something I'd like to see here but if it's not pizza or burgers, I can't see it catching on in any meaningful way, here.

Advertisement