Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please pick up your dog's poo!!!

Options
  • 20-11-2021 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭

I am so sick of coming home and having to check my footwear for dog poo after my walk.. this eve, yet again I have had to wash the poo off my runners! This is the 3 time in about 1 month!!!

Can something be done about this, on a national level, by the council or someone? A campaign or something to encourage people to pick up their dog's poo?

I love dogs.. so don't get me wrong.. but man its so unfair.... grrrr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

There’s already multiple campaigns on the go which haven’t made a difference.. and most people who post here would be responsible owners who pick up already like myself. I wear different shoes on walks that are easier to clean in case I step in something.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

That used to drive bat-shít insane. I once had to clean dog poo off my kid’s hand. She thought she was picking up a stick.

However I have to come to realise the magnitude of how much people don’t give a fvck. This is one battle you cannot win. As Sean Connery once said: “Let it go, Indiana.”

Unless you can screw them over. Then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks for the replies.. been living here for 16 yrs and it has only become a prob over the last few mths.. covid puppies or?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I’m a fairly new dog owner, so yes a Covid puppy so hadn’t given too much thought to this other than the obvious disgust. I am now beginning to realise that it’s absolutely not the new Covid puppy owners responsible for this but the owners of more mature dogs who let them off the lead. The dog is then no where near the owner, sometimes way behind, does its business and the owner is none the wiser. I walk around a fairly well known park in Castleknock, Dublin 15 every day and the amount of owners who do let this happen truly amazes me. Pooing is only one part of this problem as well, I am seriously peed off with the amount of off lead dogs who approach and scare the bejesus out of my dog, with the customary line from the owner being he’s friendly, he just wants to play. Grrr 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Can't say I have noticed, but I live in the city centre. Where is this happening? I think you may be right with the "covid puppies". A lot of unsuitable pet owners tried their hand at keeping a dog over the past 18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

So you’ve not noticed as you live in the city but agree on the cause. Are these all puppies that you haven’t seen or older dogs that you also haven’t seen?

As BlazingSaddler said, and we also got a puppy during Covid but have had dogs before, it seems a great deal of this happens when owners of more mature dogs leave them off the lead and there’s no supervision. You’ve got to be a real dumdum to let a puppy off the lead before they’re properly trained not to just run off and disappear.

@BlazingSaddler agree with you, boils my piss the amount of people who just leave their dogs off the lead in parks with children or other dogs or just people who aren’t keen on dogs! But as always there’s no one around to cop them on!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

I never understood the idiots who put dog poop into a bag and hang it on a tree or leave it on the ground with a bin just a few min away.

I absolutely hate when I pick up my dogs poop to actually take a few steps and walk into another dogs poop.

I agree with other posters about dogs off lead. Just last week I had a stupid pom run up and start barking about 1m from my 2 GSDs with the stupid owner laughing saying "oh are you showing the big dogs who is boss". Really like?

I have noticed a major decrease in dogs in my area in the last 2 months. Could people not have just bought a PS or Xbox if they were bored instead of living creature that they had no intention of keeping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Definitely on the increase and definitely partially down to owners not bothering or just letting their dogs run wild at all hours.

But I have also noticed in the last few years a large increase in urban foxes using the same areas for their needs...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How do foxes manage to sh1t into plastic bags and tie the tops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Don't be silly.

They watch Youtube tutorials like the rest of us.

• Advertisement

I dunno whether its dogs on or off their leads but I just wish I could go for my walk without stepping in their poo..

This is happening in the Sunday's well area - Cork City.. I am gonna send a photo to city hall... let them deal with it.. send a flyer out or something.. its a disgrace..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do you walk in the dark, OP?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

You know a lot of people are visually impaired and this is a big problem for them. And don’t start me on keeping toddlers out of it. Or buggies and wheelchairs rolling over it. It’s just disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

My local Tidy Towns group had a problem with a handful of well known dog walkers not picking up their dog's **** on walks. One night of picking it up and smearing it on their car door handles with a note under the wipers saying "Pick up your dog ****!" solved the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I was actually thinking of this - if I was a Mum i would be raggggging if it got on the wheels of my buggy 😡

I’ve noticed popular scenic areas and sea side areas like Dunlaoghaire and Salthill in Galway particularly bad- local dog walkers nearby to me tend to be diligent overall - maybe it’s when dog walkers go outside the areas and flock to popular destinations they decide they’re exempt or something-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

actually i find it worse people putting the crap in a bag and then leaving the bag in a bush, wtf this is way worse !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Some people are just messy feckers .. my pup is still at the stage where he wants to pick everything up and you don’t realise how littered the place is until you’re scanning all around to anticipate him grabbing something! Masks, hankies, coffee cups, plastic bottles, wipes etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Captain cabbage

Location Greenhills Dublin 12. Over run with dog poop. No one cleans up.

Thinking of moving house..

Advertisement