Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evercade VS

Options
  • 20-11-2021 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Just curious about people's opinions on the Evercade VS: https://evercade.co.uk/vs/

I've not seen much discussion around the evercade here as it's just emulation with licenced ROMs but still be interested to hear people's thoughts on it.

Full disclosure - I've helped them out with it so I'm a bit biased but was wondering what y'all thought about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I think it fits the Christmas present for the casual 'I haven't played games in years!' market well, but majority might just end up gathering bust soon afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Dunno what to think of it as my one is still in the wind with the shipping delays .... hahaha

But, I'm probably only picking it up as a companion for the handheld, and after picking up some carts over the last while. There's obviously a million ways to play these games, more accurately as well, but after being initially sceptical, I liked the idea of a crowd actually putting in the effort to have a 'new' cartridge system with licensed titles. Found myself using the handheld probably more than I thought I would, and even though the collection quality level is a bit mixed there's usually something worth playing in small doses on every release. More arcade based titles alongside the VS is a plus as well. Again, nothing not found elsewhere but a tidy package.

From the fresh investment approach, I'm not as sure, as it'll clearly join the 'on the shelf mini classics' in time but they've had decent exposure on the likes of YouTube, so it'd be nice to see it grow a bit and perhaps lead to better compilations down the road. The ability to swap over does get it a few extra points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

In fairness the emulation is very good with no screen tearing - they've spent a lot of time on it especially on the 2.0 firmware that will be released soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I'd put it in the mini-console novelty category so will appeal to the casual buyer and the retro collector scene, don't think I'll be getting one myself though. Happy enough with the handheld and honestly have enough emulation devices at this stage.

Its good their continuing to focus on the emulation (even though the majority of buyer probably won't notice), its still based on Retroarch though so are they working with the core developers or tweaking the core settings to suite their application best ?

Heard you on the RA podcast with them, nice job :) They seem like a bunch of genuinely interested guys rather than cash-in merchants like so many others.

"Its good their continuing to focus on the emulation (even though the majority of buyer probably won't notice), its still based on Retroarch though so are they working with the core developers or tweaking the core settings to suite their application best ?"

Tweaks and working with them - the Arcade emulation is MAME based

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Nice one, would be rude not to at that price :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's 95 euro when I click on that link.

There's an option to buy it at €25 per month for four months though!

How much was the deal linked above?

Advertisement