Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Switch Wiring

Options
  • 20-11-2021 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

I'd like to add a new hanging over-table light in our kitchen area. There is an existing 4-way switch. Three of these are active (one controls a light in the hallway while the other two control lights in the kitchen). I don't understand why the fourth switch is wired (on the right hand side of the image) with three wires- flipping that switch does not have any affect. Could somebody explain this to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭meercat

Looks like this switch is already used. Perhaps for under counter strip lighting. Look for a cable or joint box under it over press units.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭blueandgreen

thanks @meercat

You're right, there is a cable above the presses (on the left in this photo). Do you have any idea what the other looped cable (on the right in the photo) might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

Looks like they pulled a cable loop out as an option for future use. E.g. if it was a cable for a socket ring it would allow you add a socket there, say if needed for an extractor.

If you have a clamp meter you could test to see what switch or mcb controls the power through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭blueandgreen

thanks @iarann , will try that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭meercat

I’d say it’s a loop for other light fittings,either on the other side of the extractor fan or under the cupboards or on an opposite kitchen wall. It looks like 1.5 cable which would indicate lights

• Advertisement
Advertisement