Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a TV with getting rid of Sky in mind

• 20-11-2021 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Currently have Sky for a year on a good deal. But the plan is to get rid of it when the price jumps.

So in the market for a new 55inch tv for under 800euro. I know I won't be getting the best for that. Should I be looking at smart tv's that run on the android system. They seem to have the most apps, I know I can cast or use a firestick but want to keep it simple as posible. If I can cut out the firestick great.

Mainly want rte player and if now tv app is available thats good to have as an option too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

Android TV is great for app support. Many budget TV manufacturers now use it as it saves them the expense of developing their own operating system. All android TV's will have Netflix, Disney, Amazon Prime, Youtube etc. and some come with RTE player and Now TV, though seemingly not guaranteed as there was no RTE player in the play store on a TV I set up for someone recently. You will also have access to a multitude of IPTV apps in the play store should you choose to go down that route.

ideally look for a TV with both a satellite and terrestrial tuner and make sure you can get RTE player and NOW TV (limited to certain Samsung, Sony and LG TV's). After that you just need to figure out what features you want i.e. Dolby Vision, HDR 10+ Dolby Atmos, local array dimming, game mode etc.

If you go to currys.ie you can search by price, feature e.g. Now TV. It'll give you some ideas about what TV's are in your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lenovo1

Thanks for response, so it seems a bit more complex that phones. As in not all android tvs are the same? If I buy a budget android phone or top of the range both will have the same play store and apps.

Is sideloading a thing with android tvs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

Now TV and RTE probably have a white list of popular TV's they work on and aren't bothered with other TV's or it could be a licensing thing.

Yes sideloading is available on Android TV's. So if you're getting an Android TV I'd focus on picture quality/other features rather than app support.

Samsung and LG TV's are more locked down so what you see is what you get when it comes to app support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I've a few recent 2020+ LGs around the house. Very happy with the OS.

Prime, Netflix, Disney, RTE Player, Plex.

You can temporarily set your app store location to UK also and install ITV / BBC iPlayer but they'll only work with a smart DNS service.

Decent IPTV player too on the LG app store for all your legal IPTV needs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The Fire stick 4k is a good option too.

TG4 Player, RTE Player, Now TV, Disney, Prime, Youtube, Netflix plus you have the benefit of voice control.

The newer stick seems to have volume control and the ability to power off the tv. Not sure if you can switch hdmi source.

You can also take it with you on holidays etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement