Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops that sell prepaid debit cards?

Options
  • 20-11-2021 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, I've heard online that it's possible to buy a prepaid debit card in certain shops with cash. I'm not entirely sure how they work, either the cards come in distinct monetary amounts (eg. €20, €50, €100, etc.), so you then pay the equivalent amount in cash for that card (but are then limited as to the exact amount you're able to buy). Or you buy the card, and top it up there and then with whatever amount you want to put on it (which would then be much less restrictive). But regardless anyway, you then register the card online and spend the money on it online, so it's a great way to shop online if somethiing goes wrong with your primary debit card.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows any shops in Ireland that sell these prepaid debit cards. All the websites online describing where you can buy them are geared towards America, and so only mention American shops. I'm sure Visa and Mastercard produce prepaid debit cards, but I couldn't find any information on their websites about any physical shops that sell them, only about buying them online. So has anyone seen anything about Visa or Mastercard debit cards for sale in any shops while they were out and about? I live in Cork City specifically, but any information might be helpful (since if they sell them in a certain shop in Dublin, then they may well sell them in the same shop in Cork).

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

First result on Google

https://www.swirlcard.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FireHawk84

That looks like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

Sorry if this was a stupid question then. I had actually seen this card already, but it looked like you could only order one online, rather than being able to buy it in-store somewhere, so I left the website to look elsewhere. After looking through the website more closely now though, it does look like you can buy one in-store alright. I guess I should've checked more carefully to begin with though.

Advertisement