Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving job due to stress

Options
  • 18-11-2021 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

I wonder if someone can help.

I am scared I am going to be in hospital again due to the work load and stress I am being put under. I am getting harassed at work on a daily basis and am desperately looking for work with no luck.

I dont get to take my breaks and am put under pressure to do overtime to get the jobs done.

I have spoken to my doctor and she says that she is willing to write me a letter and advised me to take a week off just to have a breaker. When im off, I get calls and need to sort out problems and dread going into work due to what will happen next. People are quitting and they seem to put the extra work on everyone else instead of employing people.

Also our company is doing unethical documentation which I feel could be illegal.

Will the Social pay me while im off with a doctor note or am I looking at 9 weeks? Im really struggling here and my employers are trying to make it better but there just seem more work to be done with no time to do it. I can feel my health deteriorating and dont want to be in hospital again. am I going to have to wait 9 weeks?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The social will likely give you illness benefit.

Do NOT answer any calls while you are off sick.

Second this. Take time out and leave the job if it’s affecting you so badly. Life’s too short. Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,474 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And also make contemporaneous notes of the things you’ve talked about and date them. I had an issue a few years ago and because I made notes of stuff that was said it helped me out no end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

As said above don't answer the phone when you are off sick. Inform your manager in advance that you will not be answering.

Many employers are like this and keep accepting new work despite not having the staff to complete it without overtime. Many don't even pay overtime and still expect the work to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Keep in mind that if work is such a source of stress, your health could be impacted once you return.

There's an awful lot that could happen to prevent this but it would involve the company being open to work with you to resolve issues their end, or to help you come up to speed your end and thinking about this while unwell is a very difficult thing to do. (And I'm not suggesting that the issue is definitely your end, just mentioning it as that may be the position they take).

You may think that it is unlikely the necessary changes will be made and if so you too might decide to look elsewhere.

Not suggesting this will definitely be the case, but I've seen peoples health improve when they leave work in situations such as this but then they go right back to the same environment and end up in the same place again.

While you are recovering at home, you don't need to engage with work, but you can have a think about what changes you need to see from them to give you the confidence they have overcome the issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

In relation to your query about getting social welfare, as has been mentioned, you may be able to claim Illness Benefit.

Also as per pp, do not answer your phone, or get involved in work problems, if you are on sick leave. If you were gone tomorrow, they would have to cope without you. Mind yourself.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_benefit.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

If the doctor signs you off sick you will get illness benefit after the first three days. This is assuming you plan to go back once better. If you just walk off the job you have voluntarily made yourself unemployed and will have a waiting period before receiving unemployment benefit. If you need to leave this job due to the stress and will be looking for another then get a letter from the doctor saying you are fit for work and actively seeking work but cannot stay in this particular job for health reasons. That way you can sign on for Jobseekers benefit (or jobseekers allowance if you dont qualify) immediately.

I know its easy for me to say but no job is worth it, do what is best for you, take care

Advertisement