Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei p30 pro: Voice typing works for Alexa messages, but not any other app ( Google/ Gmail, etc)

Options
  • 18-11-2021 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Historically, I could talk to my P30 pro to type messages, but rarely bothered. However I tried again this week and zero response.

So this includes "Google" , Google search bar, Google Voice typing ( e.g. gmail) . The mic icon does not vibrate, simply the software is not getting the voice message.

I searched all afternoon, and 1) cleared cache 2) updated system software 2) checked all the language & location setting in all the google apps.

Finally I saw a reference that Alexa might interfere with other voice activated software. So I opened Alexa and went to communicate-> and if I select voice input on the keyboard, it worked perfectly! So the suggestion was to disable Alexa voice activation in Alexa-Settings, which I did, restart, etc. But still no voice typing in other apps.

So somewhere in the system Alexa ( or someone else) is preventing the voice data getting to Google apps.

What thoughts.

I suppose the next thing is delete Alexa.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭fortyplus

I deleted the Alexa App, re started the phone but still no voice typing in any other app. So I reinstalled the Alexa app, and it will do voice typing of message no problem, and the head-wrecking part is that it is the google keyboard it's using: so in Alexa, my "G" listening symbol pulsates and translates voice to text perfectly. But not in any other app🙉

What thoughts. I suspect the next suggestion is backup the phone, wipe it and restart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Look for the permissions manager in settings. Then go to ones that have microphone access and see if it's set up right.

On my phone, Gboard, Google, and Speech Services by Google apps have access enabled while using them (along with some others but they'd be the relevant ones to check your issue).

Thanks for that. I did as suggested, all relevant apps had Microphone permission, so that does not appear to be the issue😣

Ok, for anyone that might find this, part (or all) of the problem was a faulty lower microphone. The one beside the sim card slot. Had this repaired and all now appears good. It would appear that some programs can use top & bottom microphone, but others can only use the one at the bottom, this the inconsistency in operation.

As a side issue found there are excellent diagnostic routines buried in the Huawei P30 system settings that found the mic problem.

Advertisement