Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Departments Screwing the Public

Options
  • 18-11-2021 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Publican Jay Bourke seeking €12.5m debt write-off (msn.com)

Despite the Berlin D2 bar issue and the fact that he personally barred me from his premises once for a year (undeservedly I feel😀), I have a modicum of sympathy for Jay Bourke as a substantial contributor to Dublin nightlife over the years. His restaurants and clubs in particular enriched nightlife in the capital, so I don't begrudge him making some profit out of that, plus he was never slow to invest.

However, what I find interesting about this story is Revenue's desire to conclude this agreement so they can get paid while f***ing over all the other creditors. This is not an unusual step for Revenue, it's something they do routinely. I personally know of several substantial businesses that went to the wall during the 07 crash because Revenue ensured payment of monies owed was withheld. I often see people and bots on this board bitching about politician X/Y/Z, yet no one ever talks about the leading civil servants who are usually much more responsible for this kind of crap (Niall Cody btw). Revenue should surely be balancing the view of the greater good, which is not bankrupting other creditors by insisting they get theirs. It's hard to believe their agreements with Apple are to protect Ireland Inc when they are routinely endangering businesses because they want to get paid. Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Revenue has preferential status as a creditor under law. It was politicians, not civil servants who passed that law. Civil servants are obliged to obey that law.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The only person screwing anyone in this scenario is Jay Bourke

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement