Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predictions for build costs

• 17-11-2021 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

I know nobody can predict the future but what do the experts in this forum think is going to happen with building costs over the the next year or two?

We’re planning a renovation and extension. It’ll be a big job and will eat up all our savings and an inheritance. The kids are heading towards secondary school so we don’t want to wait too long but would hate to spend all our money now if waiting a year would have allowed us to get much more for it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

If I were to guess I'd say prices won't rise a massive amount more as they've gone up considerable recently but I also don't really see them reducing to their pre-covid levels either. I'd hope they'd be fairly stable for the next year or two.

The most important thing is that the architect or engineer have everything detailed and accounted for in your drawings for the builder to price and that you're using current and realistic estimates while designing your layouts. If you use current prices and realistic estimates you won't get a shock when the builder quotes return. If everything is included and accounted for in the drawings you'll limit extras and unknowns onsite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hi HouseyHouse

Just had a 45sqm extension built. It consisted of the following

2 Bedrooms

2 Wet Rooms

1 utility

Including certification from Engineer it worked out as 70500 which is good given the current climate.

Have detailed construction drawings ready for any builder and be sure to factor in things like laminate flooring and any extra bits you might want done. They add up very quickly.

Are prices going to come down? I can't see it. it'll only go up according to our builder and his suppliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Was this in Dublin? Did you use architect or just engineer?

North Kildare. used an Architect for the drawings (Cash) and used and Engineer for inspections and cert of compliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

That seems very reasonable. I’ve been told to expect €2.5k/square meter. Did you upgrade the existing house too? Our BER is a C or D so I figured we’d be obliged to bring it up if we’re doing an extension.

• Advertisement

No it was purely an extension to the side of the house. We didn't need any structural work done either so that obviously saves money. That price we paid also included a 15 per cent increase. It was to be around 58-60k before covid. you don't need to touch the existing house either in terms of insulation. No obligation to. If it's a side extension you will notice a huge increase in heat retention to the main house anyway.

Ours will be a double height side extension. Good to know that’ll help with heat retention either way. I thought you had to bring the house up to a B2 rating if you did major work to it so we were expecting to have to spend a lot on that as well as the extension.

Check it out I'm not sure. The one thing our builder did mention was that going up to double height would be a fair bit extra. Would have brought the entire thing to 110k or so. Just wasn't an option. Sit down with an Architect. If you have enough width to the side to create large rooms it might be more than enough for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Homer99

We're in Annacotty in Limerick, looking to extend the kitchen by 231sq ft, 2 prices back at 70 and 75k incl vat for builders finish, new kitchen and tile floor, painting , lighting and its 100k, ridiculous

• Advertisement

Does that include work to the existing house or just the extension? Over 3k/ square meter for basic finish is crazy. No way we’ll be getting what we want at that price

Just knocking out the rear wall in to the extension, I got a bill of quantities done up and materials are coming in at €18,500, give it 25k for materials, look at the profit, I asked one fella to break down the price for me, he wanted 9k plus vat to bring it from floor level to wall plate level, 700 blocks, 1 window call and 4 lentils, blocks are 55 cent a piece

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭billy_beckham

Bill of Quantities, is this something you get from a QS? How much were you charged?

Yeah, a QS, i was charged €150 cash, another builder came back to me today with a price of 39k incl vat, my nephew worked for him before so he's a genuine fella and does good work, so that's 4 prices I've gotten, 75, 70, 60 and now 40, they all blame materials but they're really just seeing how much profit they can make before it blows up again

And blow up it will. Some differ between 40k and 75k. Greed has gone mad again and some will try to justify it.

I’ve no experience getting tenders but I’m shocked that one could be almost twice as high as another for the same work. Is this normal?

o/p when you say you got a bill of quantities, is that the document you send out to builders when you’re looking for tenders? I’ve heard that if the tender documents are vague at all, the tender amounts will vary because of different assumptions by builders about finishes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭billy_beckham

Hi Folks,

any update on price increases out there? Still rising, levelling off, or dropping 😁

Seriously though, would like to hear what current situation is..

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Getting worse.

Hi folks. So prices have continued to rise since I first asked for predictions last November. Seems there’s no hope of anything actually getting cheaper but I’m wondering whether people here expect these increases to continue at the same pace or slow down?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Suppliers and merchants taking the mick big time, I see it first hand.

Monday a week ago, a Major hardware supplier in navan was 75 for a ton bag of batch mix and 7.50 per bag of cement.

Same order in carrik on shannon the next day. Smaller supplier. It was 55 and 5 per cement.

Advertisement