Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Girl Band" change name and apologise for misgendering - now "Gilla Band"

Options
  • 17-11-2021 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

This happened yesterday. Hadnt taken to much notice of them, liked some songs, but always had a problem with their vocals style.

First I'd heard of them causing hurt and offence with their band name.

Essentially, is the offence in the fact they are (probably) "cis-gendered" men who identify as men - but their band name "Girl Band", implied that they were young females? or identified as such?

Girl Band change name and apologise for "misgendering" (rte.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

😑

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gobshites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I don't understand who is offended by the original name in a misgendering way. Who got mis gendered?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Probably a girl they know

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I like a lot of bands and I have never ever heard of a band of women referred to as a girl band

a girl and boy band is usually a manufactured pop group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Acosta

Yeah, agree with all that. I'm honestly scratching my head about this. And I've seen people on twitter ready to cancel anyone that doesn't agree with the band on this. I find the whole thing bizarre. And I'm usually the guy in the room who would be accused of being "woke".

That said if it feels wrong to them then they're right to do it for themselves. It was a crap name anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

To be honest, when I heard about it first I thought, "wha?" who could be offended by the ironic and innocous use of "Girlband" as your band name.

It seemed like a bit of a lame move to appease something or someone when, really, it's hardly legitimately offensive is it? What happened to the idea of bands sometimes setting out to make people uncomfortable....

But after having a look in the 100 post plus "debate" on the issue in Current Affairs, I think any move that can annoy the CA forum and its members en masse is, in principle, good enough to pass for a worthy provocation.

In short: I don't really know why they thought it was necessary, but if the act of doing it pisses the right people off - then, sure, why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Acosta

The same thing happened when Sea Power dropped the British. It definitely pissed all the right people off.

I see some of the same moronic views over in CA.

Bands that sound like GB don't change their name for publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭donaghs

So, regardless of your initial views, you perceived there were two different culture war camps on this issue, and you set aside your own feelings to ensure that you aligned with the “correct” team.

joking, and the whole girlband thing is fairly innocuous. But it is kind of reflective of similar stuff going on in our culture.

to me the bands statement, plus gig announcements, sounded like a cynical publicity stunt, using hot cultural topics to get more publicity than they’ve ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

imagine if people have a problem with ‘girl band’ they’d have a really fûnky take on the Sex Pistols, Butthole Surfers, Nashville Pussy...etc...

and as for ‘apologizing’ ? Fûck, it’s like punk never happened....

• Advertisement

^ Rudimentary Peni says 'Hold My Jellied Eels' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

The only people who would be offended by their non-existent misgendering are severely mentally ill people.

Since when are we making decisions based on the severely mentally ill?

I feel like this entire woke thing is an IQ test: are you unbelievably thick or normal.

As an example, I've been following the Kyle Rittenhouse trial. A lot of people keep claiming it's white supremacy. T-H-I-C-K.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

'Girl Band'? damn right they should have changed their name... not since i went to see FREE BEER, have i been so disappointed to see what appeared on stage at a gig ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Advertisement