If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Who does what / who do I talk to?

  • 16-11-2021 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ The Buster
    Registered User

    I know nothing about construction etc and want to start a project. Basically, I have a 1970's bungalow on approx 0.5 acres. No work has ever been done on it. Original oil boiler/heat system, original kitchen, bathroom, windows etc. Plenty of drafts! I want to "modernize". I dont have a BER for it but guess it is around E. Rely on turf fire for heat during day in one or two rooms, and the in-efficent heating system in the evening for rest of the house. The heat costs over €3k / €4k per annum (plus plenty of labour in bog!)

    I want to replace most of the above. New heating system (no more turf), change windows, renovate bathroom. For kitchen, dining and sitting room I want help in designing. Do i knock walls and join the rooms, do i extend out back etc. I have ideas but a professional would have better ideas! Also is there other energy aspects i should be looking out. Who do i engage to look at these for me

    I dont want to manage this myself. I want to go talk to someone to design sitting/dining and kitchen and then to manage it.

    What is the best way to do this. Arch Tech seems to do design and then it is handed over. Who takes over then. Or is there one profession that does the lot - this would be ideal!

    Appreciate any advice

Best Answer

  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ houseyhouse
    Registered User

    In your position, I would engage an architect. An architect can do the whole thing: plan the changes, get planning permission (if needed), supervise the build, and help with selecting finishes. They can give advice on upgrading the BER as well. You can search RIAI for architects in your area who specialise in home extensions/renovations.

    An architectural technician can do lots of this too but I don’t think they can sign off on structural changes. I believe a structural engineer can do a lot of this including of course signing off on structural changes but personally I think that if your changing the layout it’s good to have somebody who specialises in design so you can get the most function out the space.

    Finally, there are lots of builders who offer a ‘design and build’ service but, again, I would want somebody who is expert in design doing the designing. I also think it’s prudent to have somebody other than the builder overseeing the build from a cost perspective.


  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ The Buster
    Registered User

    thanks houseyhouse. Looks like i will be looking for an architect - sounds like what i am looking for