Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most unlucky thing that happened to you?

Options
  • 16-11-2021 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

What's the most unlucky thing that happened to you? I don't necessarily mean that the consequence had to have been the end of the World, but more so that the odds of such a thing occurring would be very unlikely. I can think of one of two that still stick with me.

It must have been around 2008, for people who remember the Sky boxes on the go around then. Sometimes what seemed to happen if you accidentally hit the up arrow (just below the select button) just before you hit the on/off button, is that it would start flying through all the channels at lightning speed before you'd it the off switch. Which ever channel it would stop on would be the one it would be on when the next person turned it on. So if it went backwards from 101, that would mean that it would start going backwards from the highest channel. It landed on one of the adult channels! I knew no one believed my excuse but I couldn't help but say it.

Another time when I worked in a retail store I'd sometimes pop out to the car may once a day for literally a minute... to eat a banana. My job involved being at the front of the store so this wouldn't have been unusual as my car would have been right outside the store front. One morning when I walked out the eastern side entrance, the head manager was walking in from the opposite side and about to proceed in the western side entrance (30 yards away). The moment when I reached into my pocket and realised that I'd forgotten my car keys inside, was the exact point in time that I looked over to see him walking in! I'd stopped just after I'd made eye contact with him. I needn't to go back in, so I then turned around and did so. He obviously thought that I stopped because I felt guilty when I realised that he saw me outside the store. The very fact that I knew what he was thinking probably made me look more indecisive. So he saw me stop for a second or two when I saw him, and then turn around and go back inside. It probably looked very guilty. When I saw him inside later and said hello to him, there was no response from him. He'd seen me popping in and out several times before, but this time he probably thought I was planning on taking a half hour nap or something!

Comments

Matched with a first cousin that I hadn't seen in 20 years on Tinder.

I was in two car crashes in two days..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i bought a lotto ticket.

Didn't win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Not a willy waving contest, but....

Was parked in a car park, and a girl reversed into my car. Went over to have a look, and saw the lens cluster was slightly damaged. Swapped details and said I'd see if I could glue it back together. On the way home stopped at a junction, and a guy slammed into the back, and smashed the same lens cluster to smithereens. Swapped details. Brought it to a garage and got the lens replaced and gave your man the bill. He said I was pulling a fast one, so I showed him the bodywork damage that I hadn't bothered about, but we could get a quote for that if he liked. Then he paid up. Rang the girl and told her she was off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I got shot 60 times in about 20 seconds by four US army pricks in New York. Four 15 round hand guns. And about 15 minutes before I was shot by the NYPD. And the day before I got shot with a heavy machine gun when travelling across to Statin island by a US coast guard on a fast speed boat the gun was mounted on the front. And two days before I was shot by two NYPD police officers. And the day before that I was shot by the NYPD as well. I was also shot outside Trump tower by I don't even know who the hell NYPD it must be but with an assault rifle. I was shot more times as well on the trip but I will not bore you with the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I caught my foreskin in the zipper of my chinos on a first date years ago when I went for a slash while walking my date home.

The nearest safe house was my dates parents house , there I was with my foreskin firmly caught in the zipper , covered in blood and her da wanted to know why my flute was out while on a first date with his daughter.

Three stitches I got and I'm married to her over twenty years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

@NickNickleby Rang the girl and told her she was off the hook.

And then she returned the favour with a BJ

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Terrible night. Dreamt something bit me on the neck. Got up to check, but the mirror wasn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Read this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

So which event was unlucky then? The first or the last one?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I went on a school tour nearly 20 years ago.

Somebody vomited on me on the bus.

Then I vomited on myself.

Then I fell off a raft into the Shannon and I had to be pulled out.

Then I fell down a hill and walloped my head off a fence and the Dr had to come to see me.

Then we were waiting in a hall and two people got into a fight and a teacher gave out to me instead of the people who were in the fight because I was sitting down with a sore head.

Then I gave away rare trading cards.

The next day in school when we had to write about the trip some people included a bit at the end about my terrible day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

i was shot in a car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I once drove a car on an almost empty road and a guy hit my side mirror with his mirror. My mirror fell out. But didn't break. He stopped further down. So we both got out of the cars and we started discussing it. And just at that moment a truck passed by and run over and crashed my mirror into pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

When I first moved to London, the letting agents I was renting with went bust on the day I arrived, leaving me in the middle of the city with my bags, nobody to hand over keys and therefore no flat to move into, and my deposit gone. I had to find a couch to sleep on, which ended up being down on the south coast as I knew nobody in the city at the time, and cobble together another deposit and find a different place to rent quickly. I did eventually get the deposit back through some arbitration process the following year. By that time I'd already left because the company I moved there to work for also went bust three months after I arrived, without paying my final two month's salary. This was all at the height of the financial crisis. I moved back to London again a few years later with some trepidation but a lot more success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Over the phone😀, now THAT's a service that could be fairly lucrative. How does it work? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

anytime things could have either gone one way or the other for me , they went the unfortunate way , im extremely unlucky

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

10 years ago I mentioned in passing to a chap that I was going to throw €100 into Bitcoin.

he laughed and convinced me it was like burning the money so I didn’t

I still regard him as a good friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Oh right. As long as you didn't invest in it before Elon Musk started messing around with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You should have just bought it if you asked me I would have said it's only €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I started working

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Slept awkwardly 3 weeks ago and woke up with a pinched nerve and have been out of work since

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Could have been worse.

You could have been trying to explain away how you caught your foreskin in her zipper

Advertisement