Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curtain dilemma

Options
  • 16-11-2021 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for someone with suggestions for my curtain problem. They are bedroom curtains, pencil pleated in a bay window on a metal track and they are too narrow. I love the fabric (link below), I had them made by Sandersons and they are just not full enough. Sandersons have suggested making an extra panel for each side but it would cost me a fortune and I'd be hit for the 23% VAT etc on delivery. I was thinking of changing the pleating to pinch pleating ? Maybe buying ready made curtains in the rose gold colour and adding them on as a border ? Add voile panels ?

Any ideas ?

https://www.grahamsandersoninteriors.com/fabrics/clarke-and-clarke/lusso/chrysler-rose-gold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Could you order the fabric from a Sanderson stockist locally and get a dressmaker/seamstress to add it on to your curtains? If you want to add contrasting panels you'd have to be sure the fabric is the same weight as your curtains or it wouldn't hang properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Good idea Wyldwood, I've haven't managed to source the fabric here yet but I'll keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 queriesandtheories

Pinch pleats use up more fabric than pencil pleats so if you're trying to save money, it's not the way to go. Plus if you're changing headings, there's a chance that there will be punch holes seen when the existing regis tape is removed. It's not as simple as you might think.

The best solution would be to take a sample of the fabric to a local fabric supplier, and find another fabric of a contrasting or complimentary colour, but it must be the same weight or texture to sit well. The new fabric can be added to the leading edge. Don't try to match the colour, it will never look right. Even if you get the same fabric from Sandersons, there's a chance the batches won't match at this stage, but you might be lucky. If you don't have a sample, look inside the bottom corner of your curtain, where there should be a bit of fabric turned up in the hem. You can unfold this carefully and cut a small piece from the inside of this without making any impact on how the curtain looks. Bear in mind that the dye on this may be richer than the outside, if the curtains are up for a while or the sun has bleached the leading edges.

By the way, a seamstress and a curtain maker are two very different things, with a completely different set of skills. Once you have your fabric, source a local curtain maker or enquire through your fabric supplier as they might offer the service too. He/she will add the new fabric to the leading edges (the leading edge is the inside edge, where the curtains meet).

Ps. That pelmet/track looks like it's going to go at any moment. Straighten that up and check its anchors if you can or get your fitter to fix it in place properly.

From an interior designer and studio manager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks a million QueriesandTheories, very sound advice there - much appreciated

Advertisement