Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Z3 Roadster

Options
  • 16-11-2021 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi, I’m considering buying a 97-99 BMW Z3 roadster for a bit of fun. We could use a second car in the house as my mrs drives a van for her business. I like the Mazda MX5 but they are a bit small. The BMW Z3 looks like a bigger, more comfortable alternative. I’m thinking 1.9 litre 138bhp M44 engine so €673 tax and I will be able to get classic insurance.

Has anyone owned one and how did you find it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I'd get the six cylinder, even by the standards of BMW's glorious naturally aspirated six cylinder petrol engines, there is a really lovely sound out of them; you're not buying a car like that for fuel economy so you might as well get one with the six cylinder engine and get the most fun out of it. I've had the pleasure of driving a 2.0 litre Z3 (six cylinder); you won't be disappointed. Those were the days when the engine noise was real and the engines were nice and loud, you're treated to a slick manual gearbox, beautiful hydraulic power steering, an interior that's driver focused and so easy to operate, there's an obvious rear driven feel to the car and the handling characteristics, what bliss.

Being heavily based on the e36 watch out for all the usual pitfals that affect them or any 90s BMW; cooling system (I would do a full refresh in a six cylinder car if no evidence it has been done), rear trailing arm bushes, ball joints, suspension rattles, oil leaks, rust at the rear of the car. The hoods can leak in them, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks Leonard, they sound like a great car. I’m going to look at a few and see if I can find a good one.

Advertisement