Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual leave in An Garda Siochana

Options
  • 15-11-2021 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I’ve been a CO in the AGS for nearly 2 years now. I’m wanting to book annual leave for 2022/23 but was told by my manager I can’t book any until 1st April. We have a family wedding abroad in May and also another event in July where flights need to be booked. I explained this to my manager. If I wait till April there’s a chance the flights might not be available and if they are the prices will be extortionate. According to my AGS handbook the requirement when requesting annual leave is that plenty of notice is given which seems at odds with my request. Any advice welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Talk to HR in Navan. Tell them the request from your boss is unreasonable and that you'll bring it to the union if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Maybe the system is unable to accept leave requests so far in advance?

If I were you, I would double check with the manager that this is the case. Once confirmed, book the flights and then in April put the leave on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Tell the manager you'll earmark it in the local system/team calendar now and run it through People Point after the leave year resets in April. Maybe AGS aren't in PP actually, but the same thing applies. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to take that leave with so much notice, particularly at CO level.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yep, always go nuclear right from the start because that is defiantly the best way to get people to help you achieve your objectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kiki smiling

I believe the leave year starts in April, this would mean your 2022 holiday allowance/2022 annual leave sheet hasn't been allocated to you yet. I would imagine that has something to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You've obviously never dealt with Garda HR 😂

Oh I expect your experience was not great... when you go nuclear you get the exact same thing served back to you.

To answer your question no, I have not dealt with the Garda HR, but I have dealt with the defence forces HR areas of two states, relating to such issues, which were uneventfully and successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

In fairness thr Defence forces HR and Garda HR and couldn't be more different. Defence forces HR are very good and engage with their staff.

Garda HR and utterly useless and have zero interest in any queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Email and ask for a link to the policy that supports their ‘not till April’ schtick... if they cannot do that.... go the HR route....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭Augme

No idea why you're making such a big deal of this. Just book the flights and then book the leave in April.

• Advertisement

Probably because the flights are none refundable....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭Augme

And? Book the flight, book the annual leave in April then go on holiday.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

You should arrest your manager for being a tool. 24hrs in police custody will change his mind.

And if you don't get the leave, you'll do what?

The annual leave year runs from 01 April to 31 March each year. You can't technically pre-book what you have not yet accrued.

Write a (polite) email summarising what you've said here about the wedding and flight dates and sent it to your boss, informing them of your intention to take leave on those dates and then book your flights.

Notice given. He'd be hard pressed to deny you the leave come April.

Advertisement