Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer to collection agency letter, Can I just ignore this?

Options
  • 14-11-2021 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I am having an issue with Bord Gais. My wife had handled all our bills but she passed away a few weeks ago. When I went to sort out our account with bord Gais they said they couldn't talk to me because of the freedom of information act. She's the named person on the account. Even though my name is on the bill too. So what I did is setup my own account and canceled hers. They said I would need to pay what was left on that account. I had recently paid the old bill so there was only three into the new cycle.

When the bill came it was for nearly two thousand euros. Clearly a mistake. We average about €150 at most I've been on to them three times. Which is pain because you're on hold for almost an hour each time. They agreed that it was a mistake. I followed their instructions and emailed them twice with a timed stamped photo of the meter. I've even sent a web texted asking if this has been sorted. I heard nothing back. But, now I've received a letter "Transfer to Collection agency/ solicitor. In the letter They claim THEY have contacted me on a number of occasions. They haven't. I going through a lot of grief at the moment and don't need this shite.

My question is because she is the account holder (even though my name is on the letter too) Should I just ignore it at let them go after my late wife or am I accountable?

Thanks

Comments

• First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I hope you're doing okay b

on the subject of bord gais lucky for you OP, these collection agencies are powerless. they'll send annoying letters and that's about as far as they can take it.

Advertisement