Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broken Phone - issues with authenticator apps

Options
  • 14-11-2021 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I have broken my phone , screen is destroyed.

I got a new one but it appears my  authenticator apps - weren't backed up and I can't access the old codes for various sites I was on.

any ideas how to get these back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

Same thing happened to me recently. Each service should have a "I can't use my authenticator app" option which will allow you to verify via an email or SMS.

No easy way to bring them all back I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Since you're asking, I guess this information might not be very useful right now. Sorry!

Every time you activate two factor authentication, they should also give you some "recovery codes", which you should keep filed, e.g. your hard drive at home. You can use one of these as an emergency code, and then, after you log in, you should reset your 2FA token, and load it into your new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭foxsake

thanks guys for the responses.

I did the lo-tech option - paid 80e to have the screen fixed and I scanned over the Google authenticator .

In the end most of the sites had helpdesk to assist me getting a once-only login to reset stuff.

there was one only that was outstanding - better be worth the 80e.

made sure the back ups are now switched on and the QR code is saved offside.

lesson learned.

Advertisement