Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with setting up seperate IOT network

• 11-11-2021 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Trying to set-up a separate IOT network with the below hardware but thinking I either need more hardware or the AP is not working as it should.

Sky Hub -> Managed Switch (TP-Link SG108E) -> AP (TP-Link WA1201)

I've been messing around with VLAN's on the switch and pairing them with the multi-SSID functionality of the AP but can't seem to get an internet connection on the various wireless networks from the AP.

What's the recommended way to set up a separate IOT network with the above hardware or do I need something else?

Hardware will be wired PC's and wireless devices on 1 VLAN, with IOT devices on another VLAN. The main sky Hub should only have the Sky Q equipment connected to it directly with the router serving as internet access to the VLAN's mentioned above...is this approach possible or once everything goes through the hub will it naturally see all other devices given the Sky Hub doesn't appear to have VLAN capability (thought I could do it with just the Switch and multi-ssid AP).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

You are right the Sky Hub is not VLAN aware.

Leaves you with with some options, some messy and somewhat complicated and even requiring more h/w or other option is buy one bit of new h/w and make it easier on yourself. My opinion would be the 2nd. Ditch the Sky Hub. Get a router/modem that supports your ISP connection type and is VLAN aware. This new router/modem will most likely allow you to setup different subnet addresses for each VLAN and the respective DHCP server for each VLAN.

Then you just replicate those VLANs down on your switch and then down onto the port your AP is connected too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Idioteque

@Rattlehead_ie Would this tp-link VR2100 support Vlans? (Hard to find anything on these vdsl modems referencing Vlan).

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr2100/

If it doesn’t, what’s the protocol or wording am I looking for in the specs of Vlan aware routers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Hey @Idioteque , sorry for the delay, I didnt get a notification you responded. The technical name would be 802.1q specifically on the LAN side.

If you are talking about xDSL service Id recommend some of the Asus line. I cant see any mention of it on your Archer Modem there, not to say it doesn't support it

Advertisement