Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paving for garden

Options
  • 10-11-2021 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Anyone any experience of putting down pavers onto a gravel/sand mix with no concrete base?

We've excavated and laid down 40mm of gravel/sand mix, then a plastic weed membrane and 20mm of paving sand. The plan was then to lay 600 x 600 paviors with a 40mm loose gravel border - the goal being to allow for natural drainage below the slabs hence the loose gravel border and side areas: for this iook in a 20 sq metre back garden

BUT staff in two paving shops are telling me I will need to put down a sand cement base/bed for their pavers to work...one guy was referring to 20mm porcelain exterior tiles while the other place had 24mm natural stone tiles.

but lots of articles online seem to suggest that's not necessary for a small garden paving with pedestrian traffic... (for eg. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/where-we-live/wp/2017/08/22/installing-patio-pavers-is-not-as-tough-as-you-think/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭raxy

If you are doing it yourself I'd try it your way, if it doesn't work it's easy enough to lift them & do it again.

I've no experience in this but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe depends on what traffic will go over it. If it's just people walking probably fine but maybe a heavy wheel barrow might cause them to shift & become uneven.

Advertisement