Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building PC for my Brother. What front Panel ports should I include on it for Photography?

Options
  • 09-11-2021 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭

Building PC for my Brother. What front Panel ports should I include on it for Photography?

Is a USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C Port enough or should I be thinking about Thunderbolt or an SD-Card Reader too? He currently owns a Canon M50, a Sony A7III is achievable in the nearish future he reckons and his current 'Dream' Camera would be the Sony A7IV. I'm not into the oul photography myself so haven't a clue.

......Read Spoiler text below if you want context or to read about what kind of Editing and Gaming PC I am building him.....

I'm currently in the planning and buying stage of parts for a PC build for my brother as a present to him. Its being built in a HTPC form-factor case that will sit in a shelf of his IKEA TV unit. It'll be used for Flat 4k60 gaming on his LG TV, PCVR gaming on his Quest 2 and the reason thats relevant to here is that he and his Fiancee have an Adobe Suite sub through her work I think and he got into photography about a year ago and processing his photo's is slow on her Mobile GTX1060 laptop. When the PC's main display which is their 4K TV is in use by the other, either of them can use the Laptop to RDP (Remote Desktop) into the main PC to leverage its power.

I'm giving him my Ryzen 5900X (12c24t) CPU because I am upgrading to the 3D V-Cache version (6900x) early next year when they launch. I'll be buying him a mITX B550 or X570 motherboard and some 3600/CL18 DDR4 Ram soon. I've already bought him an RTX3070 GPU which will be funded by the sale of 2 spare GPU's I have (a GTX1080 and an RTX2060)

Because this case is going into a TV unit that can only be removed via the back of the TV unit thus necessitating removing the TV and pulling the unit away from the wall, it'll be a PITA to upgrade anything in the future so I decided to future proof it as much as I can within reason. As such I bought him a 1TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 NVME for the OS and Working disc for his Adobe projects, a 2TB Samsung Evo+ Gen 3 NVME for his Steam, Oculus and SteamVR library and I've also kitted it out with a 3 Bay Hotswap Caddy into which I'll install 3x 8TB 5200rpm 'Shucked' WD Element White Label Drives. 2 Drives Software Raid Pooled in Windows Storage Spaces for 16TB of Storage with the 3rd 8TB being the Parity protection for the other two. This will be his Project Archive Storage.

The case doesn't come with a front panel USB Type C port but it will be no problem for me to add one either via a full USB Type C/SD Card reader 3.5" Module or even just with a USB 3.2 Gen 2 Motherboard Header to Female Type C cable. The Case is being modified and dremeled TF by me anyway to fit all these powerful components, great cooling/ventilation/360mm AIO Radiator and expansive Storage. Drilling a little hole and hot-Gluing in a Type C port will be no bother to me! LOL However, if the recommendation is that I get a USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type and SDHC Card Reader Module then I'll have to put more thought into how to fit it into the front panel and whether any of the other components inside the case will need to move around a little. The sooner I know, the sooner I can start dremeling.

Post edited by Calibos on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

It's certainly a dream build and a challenge to fit all those components in and keep it cool...

I built my rig last year, i didn't include a card reader or DVD, I had sold all my Canon stuff which had CF and SD cards which I often used in the card reader, now I have a USB C lead attached to the top usb plugs directly into the Sony. That would probably spoil the look on the case so maybe go for the best multi card reader available.

Advertisement