Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media player that will stream AND play downloaded content?

Options
  • 09-11-2021 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Looking for a 4K player that will stream all the major companies - Netflix/Disney/Amazon/Apple/Now

AND

Also play downloaded content

This is a gift for a couple of 70+year olds, so ease of use is important.

They watch a couple of shows that don’t stream here and are sourced elsewhere for them so it’s important it plays this product also.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Playstation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It does have a rather nice UI and the streaming providers are easy to find and start. And it runs Plex although I havent tried that out yet on the PS.

What else is there that has all the providers together and all legal? Plus the ability to play your own content (Plex)?

The problem is I think that most above board boxes like firestick and chromecast etc will probably provide the entire range of the legal streaming apps. But they typically dont like local content (digital rights management) and they dont like 3rd party apps (e.g. kodi). Whereas the boxes that do local content with Kodi/elec or Plex for example usually dont cover all the legal streaming apps.

If this thread comes up with one that covers all I'd be very interested myself.

I use playstation for netflix and friends and I have an android box with Kodi/coreElec for the local stuff. I'd love to combine the two but havent found anything really good for that yet. Maybe Nvidia shield...

Playstation wasnt that mad a suggestion. At least its mainstream and legal and in theory has all the capabilities - but like I said I havent tried Plex on PS yet.

The senior proof UI is a whole other subject then.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Unfortunately, I think ultimately it’s overkill in being too expensive & navigation would be an issue. Trying to keep it as simple as possible

Advertisement