Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU recomendations

Options
  • 09-11-2021 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭

This morning PC just went down suddenly. No burning smell, no sparks, just turned off.

LED's still on the board and RAID controller, but PC would not start - seams like Corsair CS850M gave up after 6+ years of service.

Before any troubleshooting quick swapped with CS650M from other build - up and runing.

So looking for replacement recomendations for 750-850w (semi/full modular). Cooler Master calculator return ~500W , but it does not encounter PCIe cards and i dont mind "overhead"

Should i stick with Corsair or go for other brand?

System is old(8+) , but work flawlessly:

1. Sabertooth 990fx r2.0
    2. AMD FX8350 Black
    3. 16GB DDR3 (4x4)
    4. GeForce GTX 1660Ti
    5. 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus through PCIe adapter card(MoBo has no M.2)
    6. x4 2TB WD on HP P812 RAID card (PCIe)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I usually look at this list.

Many people advise to buy Seasonic, as they are slightly cheaper, and Corsair's PSUs are actually made by Seasonic, but I think Corsair fans are quieter, and that is important to me. We have two RM850X now in the house, and they replaced a TX650M (which I keep as spare) and an RM750X (gone). Never had issues with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

Depends on the usage of your machine. If it needs to be running reliably with little downtime then I would try to go with an EVGA Supernova Gold if you can. Lot's of crypto miners recommend them as they are generally rock solid. Corsair etc are also good (I use one in my gaming rig for years). Very important to spec your PSU correctly though so do not get a 650W PSU if you expect to draw near the limit. Safer to overspec if you see what I mean. Some modern GPU's consume lots of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Thanks folks

Could not wait longer - have ordered HX850 80+ platinum, should be safe for demand.

Shelled 160 - delivery tmr, hope it will last 10+ :D

Advertisement