Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vermin proof insulation that can be pumped under suspended floor?

Options
  • 08-11-2021 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, no idea if such a thing exists but essentially what I'm looking for is something that could be pumped like expandable insulation foam under a suspended floor but would harden to a degree that rats/mice would not be able to chew it to bits. Oh yeah, and ideally it won't adversely impact the existing joists holding the floor up.

At the moment due to this void, and more than likely the incorrect rolls of insulation that came with an engineered hardwood floor (designed for underfloor heating so heat transfer, not insulating) the kitchen is unacceptably cold during the winter while the rest of the house is toasty.

I know the proper solution is to just pull out the existing floor and pour a concrete base etc. But this would mean destroying a 3 year old oak floor that cost nearly 10K and extends from the kitchen into other rooms where there is no problem. Floor was laid very well but unfortunately to ensure if would never move our builder used wood glue as well as hidden nails so no chance of getting it up without demolishing it. He didn't supply the insulation by the way, that came with the floorboards from the supplier.

Not very hopeful that there is such a material but thought I'd stick something up here all the same. Haven't got the cash to write off the new floor (which extends into a large hall as well) so any suggestions (other than rip it out) appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I’m not aware of any system that does what you want. Any insulation system that hardens or fills the sub-floor cavity, would block air-flow and the floor timbers could be affected by a lack of ventilation.

Advertisement