Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gomo mnvo rip off

Options
  • 08-11-2021 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hope this is the right place to air my grievance. I was lead to believe that I could make calls in Spain just like any any other roaming E.U. member. i use GoMO. I phoned a 900 number from within Spain. These numbers are free to persons in Spain. The number in rang also have a free call back service. I didn't use this as I believed I would be treated the same as my fellow Spanish E.U members. Imagine my frustration when I subsequently discovered I was charged at 1.29 per minute as I phoned from an Irish mobile. Can someone kindly point me in the direction of someone (ombudsman type) where I should seek a refund of my 28.38 euros for the call. GOMO have dismissed my request for a refund.

Comments

Where were you led to believe that this was free, specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭golondrinas

The commissioner responsible for mobile communications in the E.U. spent many a long year trying to bring in a "roam like at home " formula throughout the region. It seems she didn't tie up enough loopholes to stop providers from clawing back what they perceive as lost revenue. Anyway I'm looking for an answer not questions. SO if you can't help please go away.

Trying to clarify your basis for complaint would be helpful, I don't believe you'll get very far without it.

Best of luck, be interesting to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭muffinhead

I'm not sure you'd have much luck with Comreg if you disputed this, GoMo does mention the €1.29 charge here:

https://gomo.ie/pricing/ (Expand "Roaming Pricing")

You might be able to get GoMo to reduce your spending cap from €30 to €0 and this would hopefully prevent any out of bundle charges occurring in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Incredibly rude. I'm hoping you find no help because your attitude stinks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Nice welcome home! I can see from gomo's website that they do touch on it.

Calls made while roaming in EEA destinations to all EEA Premium rate and non-geographic number ranges will be charged €1.29 per minute. Per minute billing applies.

To make a complaint about this, you would need to go to http://www.odtr.ie/

I can see how you would assume you would be able to make calls for free, from looking here.

When you travel outside your home country to another EU country, you don't have to pay any additional charges to use your mobile phone. This is known as "roaming" or "roam like at home". Your calls (to mobile and fixed phones), text messages (SMS) and data services are charged at domestic rates, i.e. the same price as calls, texts and data within your home country.

Good luck, hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

When you travel outside your home country to another EU country, you don't have to pay any additional charges to use your mobile phone.

But the OP didn't pay any additional charges when roaming. They would have had to pay the 1.29 a minute calling the Spanish 900 number from Ireland. Sounds like the OP is looking for "roam like a Spaniard" rather than "roam like home".

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Yes, as the calls weren't to either mobile or fixed line, then it was charged. I'm always paranoid about not calling nongeographic numbers. Even in Ireland!

Yeah I probably got caught under the non geographic clause. As the number is free to Spanish numbers I allowed it would be free to other E.U. members. Silly me.

The Spaniards aren’t roaming when using Spanish providers. I thought , nay expected , to get the same treatment. I didn’t realise 900 was non geo. While I’d recognise Irish pre fixes I wouldn’t be familiar with Spanish area prefixes.

Why are so many discussions on boards populated by people such as you. Go get a hobby.Snoopsheep has already ( generously I might add) wished me luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Quite wrongly frankly because you were a rude and frankly poor poster to the first person that tried to assist.

If you want to know why boards has rude people on it take a really deep look into your posting style on this thread. It might reveal something to you.

Good day , absolutely ignorance..

GoMo states that only calls to mobiles and landlines are included in my bundle. “The same as at home”. Does this mean that calls to freefone numbers are excluded….??? I.e. charged for. G

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The Spaniards aren’t roaming when using Spanish providers. I thought , nay expected , to get the same treatment. I didn’t realise 900 was non geo. While I’d recognise Irish pre fixes I wouldn’t be familiar with Spanish area prefixes.

None of this is GoMo’s issue, though.

I take your point. I was using the Spanish provider Orange network just like any other Spanish subscriber. You rip them off when they are over there. We’ll rip them off when your lot are over here seems to be the theme. They are determined to claw back as much as they can since the E U regulator took them in hand.

Incidently, I would not have phoned that number from Ireland as all foreign numbers are out of bundle. I would have emailed them to use “call back “as listed on their website. I fell for the freefone in Spain element. Again thanks for your input. I may write off the 28.38 euro. I can’t be bothered going any further. Not sure why I ported over to GOMO any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I was going to post a comment but see OP not quite getting there is no rip off and certainly no justifiable complaint. I'm one of the lucky €9.99 customers and always understood what is part of my EU roaming bundle and what is not . The 900 number OP referring to is neither a landline of mobile number from a billing perspective, its not rocket science 🙄 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you found a telco that wouldn't have charged you for a number they did not need to provide in bundle?

Look Ineeded to insure my car urgently. I rang a number that was supposed to be free when phoning in Spain. I was on Orange Spain. In the cold light of day I can see clearly what happened. Just begrudge giving the bastards 28 .38 for something I could have sorted with a callback. What makes it worse is that I paid linea Directa 360 euro for a years insurance when I didn't drive the car once.!! They took it automatically from my card and I didn't twig it at the time. Duh.

PS see you on liveline

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

For next time use one of the many VOIP apps such as viber to keep the costs down. Also whenever a non-geo/non freephone number is offered I always google to see if there is an alternative landline. More times than not google will throw up an alternative that you can use.

• Advertisement

Yeah there was a landline. Makes it worse. Also Linea Directa have a call back facility, I mean they want your business. Used to use Viber. Use WhatsApp a bit but quality can be suspect although I have FTTH which is Brilliant.

Thanks All except the fly in the ointment

Listermint LOL.

Advertisement