Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

toyota avensis handbrake actuator

Options
  • 07-11-2021 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi all,

I own a Toyota avenues 2010 2.0 diesel and my the warning lights for check parking breaking system came on.

My mechanic advised there is no workaround and the repair would cost in the region of 2k. He believes the actuator is linked to the computer.

He was able to temporally reset the system but as soon as you hit the electric handbrake the lights come on.

I am in the situation now that Invest 2k into a car with 350k on the clock or purchase another ca.

Has anyone any experience or workarounds to this issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mick

Tagged:

Comments

Did he try to actuate the handbrake actuator by scan tool? Yes it need the bi-directional control. Did he measures the voltages on the module? Do not waste the money if there is no solid evidence. Way too many swapnostics is on that market and it cost big money for people. DTC reading is not diagnostics, it is guide only.

EDIT: I understand why he bet the module replacement. Your car electrical schematics is total over 1000 pages....nice. Without that information it is very hard.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Thanks for the reply. I watched him link up a computer to the car and the actuator was struggling. He did manage to rest it but same thing happens when you engage the hanadbrake. Any ideas of a work around ? why does this cost so much ?

thanks again for your help

Typical swapnostics... Sure it is way more advanced technology than he could handle. First need the good access to wiring diagrams . Second must have knowledge how to read the schematics and measure the values. Are you ever seen the mechanic with oscilloscope? Only some dealers use oscilloscope, nobody else. You need the solid proof this module is faulty or you really pay thousands of euros for swapnostics. If the module is not faulty and the fault is somewhere else? The worst scenario you can burn down the new module because nobody did not check what is really going on. It is very risky and you need to cover all of that

Advertisement