Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What LED outdoor light to replace a 70w Sodium SON

Options
  • 07-11-2021 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all this is most probably a question for any trade electricians on here , but if your not but got any ideas I am all ears.

We have an old Sodium 70w SON (with internal ignitor) elliptical bulb (well i say old i bought it for 45euro a couple of years back from local electrical factors)

I like the output (5600lm's i think, great spread of light) - I like the warm orange glow , only disadvantages are warm up time, the buzz (especially as its firing up) and the hum off the magnetic ballast as it is lit/on.

A couple of questions then please if I wanted to change the fitting for a LED floodlight.

so , first of all can you get an outdoor LED floodlight @5600lm brightness and if you can I am surmising its not gonna be cheap as the previous SON light fittings you could get? (well not as cheap as the 45eur son 70w light including the lamp)?

Would LED be available at that colour rendering of the SON sodium (what would that be about 2700k?) or would I have to forgo that, and be looking at daylight white? (which I find a harsh type light from those LED bulbs)

Or could the 70w SON ES elliptical lamp be taken out of the fitting and the magnetic ballast bypassed and a replacement LED corn light be put in but that throws out around the same 5600lm brightness of the 70w sodium bulb?

Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement