Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery + streaming app

Options
  • 07-11-2021 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Quick one, has anyone got this service and are you able to tell me has it got parental controls at all?

Extremely disappointed in a streaming app without any sort of controls. I looked into this last year and there wasn't anything at the time.

I've an 8 Yr old that would love some of the content but there are a bunch of others that wouldn't be suitable.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Unfortunately “no” is the short answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I got an email this morning saying

Hi,

We’re upgrading our technology and refreshing our service. We're also updating our Terms of Use and Privacy Notice.

We are sending you this email to let you know about these important changes coming to discovery+. You can find full details below.

SERVICE REFRESH: NEW LOOK AND FEEL

Soon we will be refreshing our service. On some devices, you’ll see a few new features straight away, such as the creation of profiles that will allow you to restrict content for younger viewers.

Keep an eye out for any update notifications on your mobile, tablet and smart TV apps to make sure you can continue watching discovery+ on your devices.

The changes will roll out on our web service first. Changes to mobiles, tablets, smart TV and set-top box apps will follow.

Following these service updates, you will be asked to log in from each of your devices. Keep a note of your email and password handy.

Profiles with age restrictions are on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,446 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

At the minute the only 'control' is you are asked to confirm you are over 12 on certain shows when you open them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

I know every child is different but I wouldn't be worried about mine watching anything on Discovery+ (age appropriate or not) unless YouTube, Netflix and Disney+ were all unavailable 😉

Looks like profiles, including children's ones, can be setup now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Thank you. I did notice they were pushing a new version that included this, I was coming back here to see if anyone had the update yet.

Hope it's what I'm looking it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I was looking at the rugby schedules for the summer and it seems that NZ b Ireland series is on Eurosport which I do not have. Am I right that this is on Discovery +? Is there a Samsung app?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Can't say anything about samsung apps, but Discovery+ does include Eurosport.

There are two tiers for Discovery+. Eurosport is on the more expensive one at €6.99 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Howok

No, I didn't

• Advertisement

Thanks. It seems no Samsung app but it is on Apple TV. Will probably get this for the series.

Cheers. Will decide whether to go with Now TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Spotted the below yesterday, Warner Bros Discovery is planning on moving HBO Max to Discovery+, and relaunching the service in summer of 2023.

I wonder would this be a good option next year

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Theyre still tied in to a deal with Sky in this market until 2025, so don’t expect HBO content on the service here until then.

By then who knows? It seems Discovery don’t really see any future for HBO Max in its present form, they are canning original production. Now HBO’s own content offering is very strong in and of itself and an argument might be made that they don’t need Max-specific originals but there’s cause for concern about how things are developing in terms of the integration of Warner and Discovery.

BTW Don’t rule out the Sky deal being renewed now that Discovery are in charge, under WarnerMedia I would have said it wouldn’t go beyond 2025 but Discovery seem willing to deal with Sky if it works for them - witness their sub license of PGA Tour rights to Sky even though they are about to take over Sky Sports biggest competitor in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I really hope they do something to improve the App experience as it is woeful - when you are watching a multi-season series, you randomly get previously watched episodes appearing in your Continue Watching feed. And they can't blame it on one platform as I've had it happen on Apple TV, Android and Roku so it has to be their backend systems that are messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭apache

The app never worked for me. It works fine on my phone but not on the TV app.

Advertisement