Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent - move to Oil or Air to Water

Options
  • 07-11-2021 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Currently have no heating and need to make a decision... my house is 3200 sq feet and was built in 2007. It has underfloor upstairs and downstairs and doube glazed windows. My BER is a B2 with a Heat loss indicator of 1.85.

I have been quoted for a Thermia 16kW iTec Eco Air to Water Heat Pump.

I'm also considering a condenser oil boiler.

Just can't decide what is the best route. I will have a high outlay with heat pump (around 10,000 incl. Grant) ,unknown electricity bills and then then to factor in annual service.

On the other hand the price of oil is going up and will my underfloor guzzle oil?

How do I decide? Any advice or experiences welcome. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

How has the house been heated since 2007?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Geothermal. Very problematic always. Had 2nd opinion on it recently and they reckon the collector area is too small for the size of my house. I'm not prepared to spend any more money on this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,235 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd go air to water. If anything, going oil might decrease the BER of your house. The A2W might be more expensive initially (not sure if you could get grants if your house is already a B2 and you already have a geothermal system), but through carbon taxes etc the price of oil is likely to outpace the cost of electric in the long term. Plus in 15-20 years when it comes to repairing or replacing an oil boiler, it's going to be more difficult and you'd possibly end up moving to A2W at that stage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Leaving aside the problematic nature of your geothermal system for the moment, does your house heat up and generally retain its heat?

The reason for asking is if the current heating system struggles to heat your house, I would fear an A2W system would also likely struggle regardless of the BER and HLI numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

We were unable to heat our whole house due to faults and/or high bills. We would turn down stats in 3/4 rooms for the winter and not bother heating them. It was like the system couldn't cope with the size of the house. Would the incorrectly sized collector area effect this?

The main body of the house heats up fairly quickly and retains the heat well. I do have a large hallway and the front door isn't great. I also have a sunroom which I wouldn't even try and heat over the winter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement