Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claim to damage done by unknown car owner

Options
  • 07-11-2021 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello everyone. I have a question about how is the best way to claim damage done to my car in the parking lot outside the shop.

A week ago I went to the shop where someone must have backed into my front left bumper I didn't notice the damage until a week later as it's on passenger side. My car was parked facing a wall in the underground parking lot where I live for a week. This one trip to this shop is really where the damage could have happened. Not sure if there is any CCTV and recording available from the parking lot and I have no camera in my car. Is it better to just claim it from my insurance instead looking for whoever might have done it if my insurance is comprehensive and I have full bonus protection? Please any advice will be much appreciated, just don't want to wait too long and impact on my future insurance premiums and make sure insurance will cover this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Go to where you were parked and see if there’s a camera pointing at where your car was. That’s the first thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,935 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The main problem will be accessing CCTV if it exists , this footage will not be easily handed over and may require a formal request. Even if access is given there are requirements in certain circumstances were footage over 30 days must be deleted.

This aside, I'm afraid OP will struggle to get witnesses or be able to prove when the damage occured of they've not come forward by now, so, my humble advice....

OP could perhaps ask to put up a notice in shop or centre seeking witnesses or perhaps enquire if someone witnessed the incident and reported it to the shop, it's been my personal experience, if the incident was witnessed by a 3rd party, they'd either put a note on the damaged car with contact details or perhaps advise the Shop/Centre etc.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement