Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Apocalypse Ireland

Options
  • 07-11-2021 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭

Where would be the best place to hold up in Ireland if the **** ever hit the fan?

Whatever the cause, war, economic collapse, plague etc. In the event of a societal breakdown, where would you seek sanctuary in Ireland?

Personally I would try to get away from strangers entirely. Ideally rebase on an island in a lake in the west of Ireland.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

An island on a lake is going to be a pretty bad place when the water starts rising.

I’d probably just stay in my house. I like it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

You said: “if the **** ever hit the fan. (…) Whatever the cause”

So the cause could obviously include environmental catastrophe involving flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Yes but even the most pessimistic models predict a water level rise of around 15mm a year so if similar rises were to occur on inland waters, a 15cm rise in water levels over a decade wouldn’t be a pressing concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have already selected the rebase for my hold up. But I'm keeping it a secret.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Old, abandoned ICBM silo. No. Wait. Ireland does not have one. Travels across the pond to North Dakota. Problem solved.

You’re talking about sea level rise, even though you’re living on a lake. I’m obviously talking about inland flooding, which can be measured in metres, not mm, and can occur in a matter of hours, not a decade.

You haven’t thought this through. Get off the island while your stuff is still dry and find some high ground.

My house is on top of a hill, at an elevation of 26m. There’s a river at the bottom of the hill, and a lake nearby that floods to 3 times its summer size at times. When the apocalyptic flooding hits, I’ll be on an island, but still well clear of the water. And I have a kayak. So I’m staying put. No, this is not an invitation to join me. Find your own hill.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭BrianD3

With Ireland's small size and dispersed population (small farms, one off houses) you're never far from people. If you want to setup camp on an island in a lake, you can be certain that locals with more shotguns than teeth will have thought of that too, they may even own the island. Might not be a great idea unless you want to "squeal like a pig".

In a nuclear war, Ireland will probably be a target so that England doesn't have an area to fall back to.

Large nuclear strike in Belfast, Dublin, Cork and Galway will make the island pretty much uninhabitable immediately. The follow up nuclear winter will finish off those few that managed to survive.

Best bet... find Tir na N'og or Narnia.

The Collapse may be slow motion. Consider a mututation to Covid making it lethal to 1 in 4, mass panic, rioting, supply chain collapse, then more panic, mass movement of people based on rumours of safe places etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No one knows what kind of an apocalypse you're going to get. If you are in the country side you are probably better off staying put unless it's a flooding apocalypse and your house is actually filling with water, but the Lord promised we wouldn't get that type of apocalypse so I'm not too worried about that one.

If you live in the city then you'd probably want to get out of there within a week of things starting to fall apart.

Hills are probably not that great , there is feck all to eat on most of them. Better off lower down where you have a better chance of catching birds , rabbits, eating wild food, doing some guerilla forest gardening. Offshore islands might be ok, provided you have a fishing rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Whatever I choose, you can be sure it'll end with ".....and a sh*tload of ammunition".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There's a programme "The Hermit of Treig" on BBC Scotland at 10 pm about a fella who has lived in a cabin in the Scottish wilderness for 40 years, surviving on fish from the nearby lake. Might be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

In a post apocalyptic world, where nothing is the same, one boards hero emerges, to start threads about anything and everything. This hero , formally of tha Nazi party and isn't from these shores originally, unites the country. Albeit not in the way he intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Coastal living in a campervan and fishing for markeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

Larne in County Antrim the residents dont even want to be there so good chance a pandemic or end of world wont have any impact

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Theres an old nuclear bunker outside Portadown ... might get a bit crowded though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

On a island , maybe but you, d need to grow food, if climate change comes. Parts of Ireland maybe flooded, some country's are preparing for wars as in a few years some country's will simply run out of water or simply become too hot too for people to live in. people in Texas mostly rely on air-conditioning in all buildings to work. I don't think most people could survive just living on the land or milking cows if the economy starts to collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

We're already experiencing collapse. Its the end of cheap living and cheap energy. It ll probably be a slow collapse, or a series of declines with perhaps the odd rise, who knows.

Sure move to the sticks, get to know your neighbours, find out whos growing what, who can fix things and who brews the best homebrew. Learn to make/grow as much as you can.

No man is an Island, you need community.

"Increases are of sluggish growth, but the way to ruin is rapid"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The vegan population would be the first to die out, denied their imported avocados, forced to eat grass and mosses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

You'll have some journey to North Dakota post apocalypse. Dont think Ryanair will be doing flights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Have wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

If that last 2 years have shown us , no matter what is coming down the line there'll be a massive percentage who won't believe it anyway till it's probably too late

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭blackbox

At least we'll have a stock of toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We, ll have to have restrictions on people coming here, as people move away from flooded country's and country's with lack of water or places where its simply too hot to live a normal life

I think 5 million is about as much as Ireland can support

As climate change gets worse certain items maybe hard to get or very expensive

Cop26 was a failure, Western governments did not make the vital decision to stop more oil exploration and switch over to green forms of energy

We are seeing the end of cheap energy and the return of 70s style inflation and supply chain shortages

This triple shot will hurt gen z young people worse as they spend so much on paying high rent payments

We can see the start of climate change having severe impact some country's are short of water factory's are closing down due to lack of power or supply chain chaos

It turns out relying on China to make everything is a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ireland is incredibly under populated . We are probably one of the better countries to survive a complete breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I always thought a walking dead style set up in Ireland would be some craic.

" Ah sure, I see you have some cans and a few bags of Taytos, sure come on in"

All joking, some places will be well able to sustain, some not. Big city living would be an issue, smaller spots outside the country.

My plan would be to move into a large shopping centre, or ideally a prison complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

We all know there are people here who will take rather than contribute. Setting up some sort of commune would be difficult enough, but then trying to protect your assets would be even more difficult. I'd say the supermarkets and warehouses would be empty in a week or less. You'd have to pray that some sort of control would survive, like policing and medical. Then its a case of getting all hands to the pumps to save ourselves. Perhaps numbers is what you'd need.

I've read enough apocalypse books to convince me that when the big one is coming and everyone is in the bunker, that the best place to be is on the roof of said bunker with a dozen cans of Guinness and enough battery in my mp3 player to tied me over till I'm atomised.

If the batteries run out, I'll just sing to myself..... "when I was just a little girl , I asked my mommy what would I be..." had to get the obligatory Simpsons reference in there!

The best place to be for a nuclear apocalypse is ground zero. I'd like to see the contrail tip downwards and see the briefest of bright Li

• Advertisement
Advertisement