Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog attack on walk

Options
  • 06-11-2021 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭

While out walking my dog was attacked by another dog. My dog was on a lead and the other dog came out of their property onto the public road and attacked mine.

My dog attacked back and was much bigger than the other dog, I tried pulling him back but the other dog kept coming after him which resulted in me running and pulling my dog with me.

The attack lasted maybe 20 seconds. My dog by all accounts is uninjured but I can't be sure what if any injuries the other dog may have sustained. He continued running after us for about 100 meters so I can't imagine he was badly injured.

We are new to the general area where the attack occurred and I do not know the owners of this dog. Has anyone any advice as to what I should do?

I was considering calling into them to see if their dog is ok but I've obviously no idea how they'll react and perhaps it'll only cause trouble and they may say their dog wouldn't attack mine etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Their dog was at fault, not you. They hadn't got sufficient fencing to stop it coming out. Next time you're out either avoid the area or bring a heavy stick to defend yourself with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Thanks, I'll definitely be avoiding that road in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Say nothing.

If the owner later has a go at you for not saying anything, say you didn't see where the dog came from and didn't know where the house/owner was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭dublin49

don't concern yourself with this matter.The only reason to call to the owners house would be to complain about their lack of supervision for their moany little mutt,my dog is medium sized and a number of times little Dogs have attacked mine when we are walking by them on the lead,now they get more then they asked for when they do and I never ever feel guilty or sorry as the duty of care falls with the owner ,they regularly have these litte pests on the extendable leads and it is comical watching them frantically trying to reel in their little precious who didnt expect the other dog to react.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Thanks for the replies. Its really put me off walking my dog on our road tbh.

Most of the houses on the road have dogs and they are all very territorial, running to to their gates/fences, barking, jumping etc. Doesn't help that most are big breeds (a lot of Rottweilers!!)

I'm terrified they'll get out have attack me or my dog.

For the time being, I'll stick to walking him in a near by park.

• Advertisement
Advertisement