Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grout discolouration in bottom tiles of shower

Options
  • 06-11-2021 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

I renovated the bathroom in my timber frame house with white subway tiles and silver grey grout.

When I strip the bathroom down I refit the stud walls with moisture resistance plaster board, then I tanked the walls and where the shower tray meets the wall I used magic seal to stop any leaks.

The tiler then used silver grey silicone where the shower tray meets the tiles on the wall so I think I done everything right!

BUT what I have noticed over the six months is that grout on the bottom row of subway tiles have turned very dark...the rest of grout on the walls are fine it’s just the bottom row!

has anyone experienced this? Is my grout soaking in dampness? It always stays this colour even when the bathroom has dried ? Is it because the bottom tiles receive the most water from the shower so the grout has discoloured??

I am worried as my house is of Timber frame structure and I don’t want dampness getting behind the walls and into the timber frame and causing rot!!

any advice please ?

thanks

Post edited by newfy on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭newfy

Anyone for this ⬆️

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Mould?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

HG mould remover might solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭newfy

I’ve tried cilit bang black mold remover! Made no difference!

Strange that it’s just along the bottom row of tiles in shower!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MickyD

at least your tiler used silver grey silicone where the shower tray meets the tiles on the wall, mine used grout which became displaced due to momement and the flow of water! so I had to painfully remove and replace ther gap with silicon

the grout should dry after a few days if the shower is not in constant use and if it is not spreading up further to the next row of tiles then you should be fine

u could always silicion over this row of tiles if u wish to be extra safe but it may compromise the finish

• Advertisement
Advertisement