Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get an assistant librarian job

Options
  • 04-11-2021 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,

I just graduated in 2020 and would love to work as a library assistant. Doing the masters isn't an option for me right now, so my question is how do I land an assistant librarian job with an honours degree? (was v. confused looking at Grad Ireland website, ppl with degrees already working in libraries but now the masters is sought after, but how do I get employed in this environment just with my degree?) I admit recently got passed over for interview, very disappointing as I got first class honours and have loads of customer service experience and in the heritage sector.. Will get over it.. Should I try County Council libraries instead..? What is it they look for. Appreciate any sound advice thanks! :)

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭gipi

Local authority librarians require a qualification in Library and Information Studies (in my day, it was a diploma, I now understand it's a degree course).

Library assistants and senior library assistants do not require the qualification, they may or may not be graduates of another discipline. Local authorities used to sponsor staff to upskill and obtain the library graduate qualification while being paid. I don't know if this still happens.

This page may be of help

https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/98878-library-services-in-local-authorities-qualifications/

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I don't really know anything much about this topic, but felt I should reply to say that I heard recently of someone whom I know does not have a degree - but who has many years of work experience in administrative/clerical officer type work has secured a part-time position as a library assistant in a county south of Dublin (but north of Wexford☺️). From my knowledge of this person, I would think they would be ideally suited for such a position, to be fair.

Don't know if that's any use to you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ceanndána

Thanks so much, this is food for thought, I will keep my eyes peeled for library assistant jobs and check out that link. Grma! :)

Advertisement