Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

main dealer service versus independant

Options
  • 04-11-2021 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Morning, i have a golf 2012 tdi ready for a yearly service and have been looking at options.

i am looking at the ultimate service from VW @299

• Replace Castrol Engine Oil
    • Replace Oil Filter
    • Replace Cabin Pollen Filter
    • Replace Engine Air Filter
    • Replace Diesel Fuel Filter (diesel only) or Spark Plugs (petrol only)
    • Check wheels and brakes
    • Check/adjust tension of all drive belts
    • Check gearbox oil level
    • Check final drive oil level
    • Check suspension system
    • Check heating/air con operation
    • Vehicle road test
    • Diagnostic check and report
    • Software Updates and Product Enhancements
    • Reset service interval display
    • Wash and vacuum
    • Volkswagen stamp in service book
    • Free 12 Months Roadside Assistance
    • Comprehensive Vehicle inspection and report to include all lights, instruments, bodywork, glass, locks,battery, coolant quality and levels, drive belts, braking system, steering, hoses, drive shafts and exhaust system,test battery condition

i have priced parts bosch and mann and they come in at 150 from euro car parts, will then need to find mechanic to do the service for less than 150 euro.

what are peoples opinions on the above ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

If you take money out of the equation. Main dealer is always the way to go, but in the real world, once a car is out of warranty there is little incentive to continue getting services at the main dealer.

Any independent garage will be more than capable of performing all of the checks above, you may have to specific what else you want inspected as it wouldn't be as stringent as a main dealer reading off a list of what to check. Then quality of service will be identical to what a main dealer will do, again do your research on what garage you choose and you'll be fine, you'll save enough money to get a mini valet on your car and still have change leftover from what the dealer will charge you vs the indie garage.

I've never seen an indie charging more than €70 per hour, you may get charged 1hr 30mins labour for that full service, so maybe €100 labour, which would bring your cost to €250 all in. Add your valet and maybe €280

An indie can also stamp your service book for you

Also, ring around for other motor factors, you may get the parts cheaper than ECP.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

agree to alot of your post above, but to save 30/40 quid would it be best to keep a full main dealer service stamp book on a 2012 golf ?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

If it has a fully stamped service history from the main dealer to now with no gaps I would continue main dealer in that case, other than than I'd go Indie, an independent garage would have the capability the access diagnostic systems of the car they would have the right tools, maybe not software updates but I could be wrong.

For me, if I was buying a car that was a few years past its warranty I wouldn't care if the services were done at main dealer or a local garage, the important thing is that they're done, end of the day it's your call but that's my two pence.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

zero gaps, all vw main dealer stamps including DSG service etc. if there was a huge gap in cost i would have zero issue with going independent. sure a few years ago i would do it myself, thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

i have priced parts bosch and mann and they come in at 150 from euro car parts

I'd expect those parts to cost nearer to 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I'd continue with main dealer at that price....but remember your car is depreciating (despite spike in current secondhand prices) so the VW stamped history may not matter to the next owner at that age.

It'll be 10 years next year so value will be limited. Servicing at VW is really for your own piece of mind that they should have everything done right & to spec.

BTB

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

When they say "check" above, do they mean they'll add on the cost of the various elements if they need to be replaced or there is a problem with them? So they say "check the aircon" but will it be an extra 50-100 quid if there is a problem with it?

My brother brought his car to a VW dealer recently and was shocked at what he was quoted for a service on a 6-7 year old Passat - he brought it to an independent mechanic who said what they were proposing was way OTT.

On a 10 year old Golf, I wouldn't worry about the service history. I wouldn't trust one of them if I was buying a car to be honest and would be bringing a mechanic. It won't make any difference when it comes to selling it I would say.

But I 100% admit, I am not an expert and lots around here will know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

The problem with the main dealer is that you will go in to collect the car and they will say, oh your window wipers were very bad, we changed them for you and the invoice they hand you will have an extra €80 on it

That is if you're lucky - they'll probably ring to tell you your brakes and pads needs changing, clutch is on the way out, bushing knackered and half your suspension subframe needs replacing, yada yada yada, these service packages are to get you in the door cheap and make megabucks off you upselling.

Comprehensive Vehicle inspection and report to include all lights, instruments, bodywork, glass, locks,battery, coolant quality and levels, drive belts, braking system, steering, hoses, drive shafts and exhaust system,test battery condition

Half that stuff wont need to be done anyway, engine air filter and spark plugs/fuel filter aren't every service and are probably more like every 100,000km

Check heating/air con operation - what they're going to sit in the car getting warmed up while you're paying 150 quid an hour to them for the pleasure ☺️ Sure you know yourself if it's working and if it isn't it's probably a dash out job that would cost $$$

To me the only reason to go main dealer is to keep the warranty happy on a new car (which isnt strictly necessary if the independent uses OEM parts) or in the case of a high value vehicle that you are planning to sell on it helps with the resale. For a nearly ten year old car I wouldnt bother personally. Make sure you get your 'free' coffee if you do go with them while you're sitting in the dealer palace waiting to collect.

Why dealer or indie if you can to do all that by yourself? If you do yourself, you know exactly what oil is inside or how job are done. Be very careful, many indie garages use recycled oil blends. You can not blame them, because they buy the cheapest oil from the marked and it is rated by manufacturer specification. From that to do list you are able to do everything, except the software updates. Never ever update the software if everything works. The software updates can cause the problems.

Advertisement