Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Durable teddies for dogs

Options
  • 03-11-2021 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭

As above, looking for any recommendations for some durable teddies for a collie cross.

Shes very playfully aggressive(if that makes sense) with them, she loves tearing them to bits and covering the room in foam.

We got a kong rope teddy that had ears missing after an hour and was in the bin after less than 2 weeks. At €15 it wasnt cheap but I'd happily pay double if it was gonna last her a while.

We spotted rope teddies in Aldi last week and the first one didn't last more than a few days either. Thankfully we bought 3.

Any recommendations on what to get next?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

We had the same problem with our guy - until we got a Fluff and Tuff. You can get them from the pet parlour in Terenure in dublin and also on Happy Tails website - both small irish companies. We intially got him one of their older designs (the lion) and it didn't last too long, but we got a chrismas sweet one last december and a shark one more recently and the sweet is still perfect a year later and the shark is 2 months in with no damage at all.

Funnily enough the past couple of months hehas been more gentle with all his toys, they others stull get holes and tears but he is far less likely to then pull all the stuffing out and completely destroy them. When before it wouldnt even last an hour after the first hole showed up. Maybe he's grown out of it, or maybe he realised its good keeping the toys around.

Rope toys are also pretty durable, he does like to gnaw on them and they do eventually unravel, but no fluff to clean up and the gnawing is good for their teeth. A tennis ball is still no match for him, and within 20 mins we are cleaning up tiny bits of rubber all over the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

second recommendation for Fluff n Tuff and Happy Tails website. Tgey are happy to make recommendations for you if you tell them what you are looking for.

my fella is not so much a destroyer of toys, more the worry would be that he’d chew the eyes or bits off things and choke. Fluff n Tuff are excellent quality. They are expensive, but worth it.

he loves his octopus, was great for a chew when teething

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Our absloutle lunatic Goldendoodle completely shredded in mins every toy until we found Kong toys and they are lasting very well!

We bought some in Petstop and petmania as far as i remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭.red.

Thanks lads.

She's in at the vet next week to have a few teeth out so she might be slightly more gently with them after that as we reckon she'll be fairly gummy coming home.

The poor thing was in an awful condition when we got her but thankfully she's very close to the dog she should be now.

I'll have a proper look at that site tomorrow and pick a few. Maybe put a few away from santa as long as the first one last till Christmas.

As for the price, I'll get over whatever it is as long as they last. We couldn't believe how quickly she made bits of the kong teddy.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭.red.

She doesn't have much interest in any chew toys we've gotten, if you throw them she'll happily play fetch but other than that she ignores them. Give her a teddy and she'd play away all day with them tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

dogs are mad, my one loves those squeeky pigs, we have 13 pigs lads....13!!!! teddy , nope, ropes...meh mabye... pigs.... OMFG!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭tscul32

Gave our collie cross an antler piece recently and he loves it, even though he has little interest in any other chew toys. He could spend 30 minutes just chewing on it happily.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

I am going to second the Fluff and Tuff Toys for durability.

Happytails.ie has some great toys- she is in Saint Annes Market on a Saturday morning if you are near there. They stock another range call zippy paws. The burrows are amazing, my lad got the milk and cookies last year and I bought replacement cookies during the year. The use he gets out of it is insane- he seems to like small toys that fit in his mouth.

https://www.happytails.ie/products/zippy-paws-burrows

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

I second the burrows. We got the boat and sharks from Happy Tails during the summer - he completely destroyed one of the sharks but the other 2 are perfect. I then spotted a coffee cup one with donuts in TK Maxx in september - few holes in the cup but the donuts are near perfect. I also find that wrapping up some treats or kibble in newspaper and stuffing the burrows with them along with the toys is a great enrichment activity for them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’ve gotten zippy paws in Tk maxx too.. also the outward hound squirrel nest / log thing keeps Rory entertained for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Aldi have hide and seek todays today - I got the mug/marshmallow one for Rory 😆

Advertisement