Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

charging best practice ?

Options
  • 03-11-2021 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Assuming a ev battery has a set life of charge/discharge cycles, is there a preferred method to recharge, i.e 0 to 100% and near empty battery before full recharge or multiple recharge so 100% down to say 80% and top up to 100%.

Does recharge pattern affect battery life/health ?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If possible, try to charge to 80% except when you need the extra range

Similarly, try not to go below 20% if possible

Doing so should improve your battery lifetime. If you do need to go to 100% or below 20% then that's fine, just don't leave the car sitting in that state for a long time (days or weeks)

There was this theory a while ago that fast charging a lot was bad for your battery health. I think it's been reasonably disproven unless you're using fast charging 100% of the time, even at that it's probably worse for your wallet than the car

Otherwise don't worry about charging habits, just plug in the car when you feel the battery is too low. For me I plug in when I'm below 40%

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement