Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boil meat in a pressure pot, or steam it? (non electric pressure pot)

Options
  • 03-11-2021 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Usually I would boil a lump of meat in the pressure pot. I cover the meat entirely with water and let it simmer away.

The pressure pot also came with a steamer contraption, like a raised platform you can put in the bottom of the pan.

Would it be faster/slower/better to steam meat rather than boiling it?

I was reading how they work and am a bit confused. For example in this link: https://modernistcuisine.com/mc/how-pressure-cookers-work/

It says:

"High-pressure steam rapidly transfers heat to the surface of any food not submerged in liquid."

But the picture shows all the meat completely submerged in water. It also says:

Add enough water to the pot, either around the food or under a container of food elevated above the bottom of the pot, to enable plenty of steam to form.

So which is it? Submerge the meat like in the photo, pour water around the food so only a bit of it is exposed to steam, or raise it on a platform so it is just steamed and not boiled.

It seams like they're saying, the more steam the better? So I should be using this steaming contraption rather than boiling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

Do you know what model it is?

If you don't have the make or model then can you post a photo of it, please?

When cooking meat in a pressure cooker there is a certain amount of liquid needed for a certain weight of meat.

Also the thickness of the meat is important, for example cubed/diced meat requires less time than a joint of meat.

When fill the pressure cooker, it is usually recommended not to fill more that 3/4 full (that is meat & liquid).

I use my pressure cooker regularly and so I will gladly help with advice if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

It's this one: https://www.kettleandtoasterman.co.uk/product/tower-t80244-pressure-cooker-with-steamer-basket-6l-stainless-steel-922

I was cooking fairly large chunks of lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OP, you mention letting the meat simmer away. Are you just using this as a saucepan or are you actually building pressure? Cooking under pressure is pretty much the opposite of simmering. TBH, I don't think the liquid level is that critical as long as there's enough so prevent it from drying out and burning. Using less liquid will leave you with more concentrated liquid after cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

Here is a link to the instruction manual for your pressure cooker (Tower are similar to Fagor models)

Advertisement