Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Background Check - Can I redact salary in tax docs and pay stubs?

Options
  • 03-11-2021 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

• I am in discussion with an IT company about a position. They emailed me that any offer with, naturally, come with a background check. It mentions they will expect local tax documents or pay stubs from my previous employers. Can I redact the salary info in this as I don't see why they should have full access to seven years of such information on my career? My current employer did a background check as well for the past five years and this was not part of it; they solely asked for address and contact details of an HR person there to confirm my entries. I have tried to google this as I think it's excessive digging into my background and financials, am I in the right to show them the dates and address but not the salary amounts?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well the type of background check will depend a lot of the type of work you are doing and the jurisdiction setting out the requirements. For instance if your new employer provides IT services to a Swiss bank a full financial background check is mandatory for all of the company's employees working on the projects and so on... Likewise if you were going to have access to sensitive data relating to public quotes companies etc... they might need to satisfy themselves that you are not is a position where you could easily be bribed.

But if it is the typical employee background check, then requesting financial records seems excessive...

I would image the reason they are asking for financial records is because they want to see the figures, so redacting them is unlikely to fly. I think you need to decide if this is really a company you want to work for and act accordingly.

Advertisement