Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Metro Bus Route Overhaul November 2021

Options
  • 03-11-2021 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

This post was originally in the Cork Developments thread, however I felt (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the discussion probably warranted its own thread. There is a thread already in the infrastructure section of the forum specifically for Bus Connects. This thread is just for the route overhaul based on the existing road network

--

I believe I saw in the files that this new bus newtwork is based on the existing road network. If they were making these changes with the assumption that there would be infrastructure upgrades or changes first (such as the changing of directions of the Douglas Road and South Douglas Road - two major roads connecting to the city centre from the south east city) then we wouldn't see these bus changes until the early 2050s if we're lucky. Remember the Wilton Road fiasco a few years ago? A relatively small change rejected by councillors, not just large resident objection. It does, however, look like there will be some small changes to facilitate the bus network changes:

• Completion of the Victorian Quarter upgrade (bus lanes, two way MacCurtain Street, etc)
    • It looks like the curved part of Angelsea Street between Copley Street and South Terrace will be made two way, or a countraflow bus lane will be added

I think a huge benefit that hasn't been talked about yet is the amount of space that is going to become available now that the buses won't be going down some city centre streets that they once were

• Grand Parade will now be able to see the two way cycle lane coming from the South Mall extended through the old bus stops to the Washington Street cycle lane network. The only problem here is the left turning lane will need to be removed by the Washington Street junction, but it is mostly useless as is since certain English Market traders have decided it is their personal loading bay, meaning cars (and buses) generally can't use it or the left turn only green light
    • South Mall will be able to have its footpaths built out further where the existing set back bus stops are. The removal of the shelters too will help with decluttering the street, especially in front of the nice brick and limestone buildings on the Cook Street/Morgan Street block
    • The bus lane (again, de-facto parking) will be able to be removed, as well as the bus stop, on George's Quay. This will allow the footpath to be built out, meaning trees can be planted in one of the most concrete heavy river edges, as well as spill out space for the various restaurants along the street
    • The bus lane on South Terrace can be removed and dedicated cycle lanes can be added, or else actual parrallel car parking to stop people parking on the footpath across the street

It will also mean that a lot of buses now terminate at Parnell Place Bus Station, Kent Station-Alfred Street and Patrick Street. That will help a lot with increasing footfall for the retail core of the city centre (and city in general) and the Docklands. I advise everyone to take a look at the plans, they seem to be extremely well thought out and take everything into account. However, it doesn't appear people involved with this project live in the city or metro area, so the public consultation open now is extremely important. If you're willing to make a post about something on here, or Reddit or Twitter, please also make a submission to the public consultation. It's open for a reason. I myself will raise the point I made earlier about the creation of a 3C in order to serve UCC from Carrigaline and the south east city (Douglas, Maryborough, Donnybrook, etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I'm a bit confused on the timeline for the infrastructure. My understanding was that the infrastructure upgrades in Dublin were being done concurrently with the route changes?Are they just going to upgrade the routes in Cork and kick the can down the road for the infrastructure upgrades? When is the infrastructure plan due to be released in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The infrastructure element is sadly lacking in what was announced yesterday. This is the only mention of it I can find in the document:

Making interchange easier for passengers in certain busy places – such as Cork City Centre, Carrigaline town centre, Blackpool, CUH and Douglas – will require more space for bus stops as well as bus-only lanes and other priority measures. The Draft New Network is being proposed using existing road operations, but NTA will continue to work with the City and County Councils on optimisation of streets to support the new network. 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I see that the new number 2 (old number 8) is going to be going down McCurtain street both ways (seeing as McCurtain St is changing to 2 way), which is handy.

I need to have a proper look at it, but it looks exciting. However, the mention above that the infrastructure element is not really mentioned is a bit worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"I see that the new number 2 (old number 8) is going to be going down McCurtain street both ways (seeing as McCurtain St is changing to 2 way), which is handy."

Note that the route designs are generalised. Sometimes routings will be one street over or they will be dependent on changes to streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

There is a mention of Core Bus Corridors being released in Q1 2022. I assume this will include the infrastructure. If not there is nothing for infrastructure here...

Yeah MacCurtain Street is going 2 way as well as Brian Boru Street and Brian Boru Bridge which is contained in the Part 8 plan for that area.

Yeah have to wait and see on that. I suspect that for Douglas the plan is for the traffic to be somehow encouraged to use the South Douglas Road and have the main Douglas Road as a CBC - not sure how but I think that's where they are going with this.

The next street, e.g. St Patricks Quay instead of MacCurtain Street. It's particularly important around the bus station, where certain turns may be difficult.

MacCurtain street is due to go 2 way with works commencing next year and into 2023. What turns at the bus station are difficult?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Complete backwards step for Rochestown and Passage. Services cut in half. No direct connection to Ringaskiddy (a lot of kids go to school in Passage) and no connection to either university. Will be submitting some strong feedback.

Parnell Place, Deane Street and Oliver Plunkett Street Lower would need to be made two-way or reversed for the 9and 31x. The 21 is shown doing a u-turn from the bus station to Merchant's Quay.

The new 7 has more coverage in Rochestown than the 216. The new network emphasises connections with free ticket transfers. At the end of the day not everywhere can have a direct link to the university.

Deane St, Parnell Place and OP Lower already carry a lot of buses including larger regional coaches and there is no major issues with them making turns there - a bit awkward but no show stoppers. The 9 will go down Parnell Place as normal, turn on to OP Lower as normal and on to Deane Street - buses do this already so not sure of the problem here. The 31X is the same as any other bus from East Cork. It will cross Brian Boru Bridge, down Clontarf Street onto OP Lower and turn onto Parnell Place. The 21 I assume will exit the Bus Station and cross the new two way Brian Boru Bridge. No uturns needed but maybe it needs to be polished up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Some things I noticed and found interesting looking through the map some more:

• Route 12 (Carrigaline - City Centre, via Passage West) will follow the R610 for its entirety of its route, including the Douglas Relief Road. This means that Douglas Court Shopping Centre will now have a bus service, as well as whatever is built on the field across from KFC/next to McDonalds
    • Anglesea Street (between Copley Street and South Terrace) will either be made two way or have a countraflow bus lane put on it
    • Raffeen Village will now have a bus service, Route 12
    • Bessboro Road now has a bus service, Route 20 (Bessboro - City Centre). This is one of the few greenfield areas available for development north of the N40 and east of the N27
    • Mardyke Street will have a bus service serving it, Route 6. Mardyke Walk between Western Road and Mardyke Street will no longer have buses serving it, however I don't fully understand this as Western Road (east of Donovan's Road), Lancaster Quay and Washington Street (west of Courthouse) street are shown as have both eastbound and westbound services of Route 2 (Curaheen - Mayfield). Those three roads are one way with no space for a contraflow bus lane (unless all parking and loading bays are removed, but even then I don't know if one would fit) so I assume this is an error on the map and the route will follow the regular 205/208/220 route when going eastbound (i.e. via Dyke Parade/Sheare's Street)
    • Leitrim Street, Coburg Street and Devonshire Street will have buses serving them, Route 16 (Cloghroe - City Centre)
    • Glenthorn on Dublin Hill will no longer have a bus route running through it
    • The Old Youghal Road east of the North Ring Road will now have a bus route serving it, Route 2A (MTU - Glanmire)
    • Ballycureen Road will now have a bus route serving it, Route 6 (Frankfield - Mercy Hospital)
    • Lough Road will no longer have a bus serving it, while Pouladuff Road will gain one, Route 4 (Lehenaghmore - Kent Station)
    • Rossa Avenue will no longer have a bus serving it
    • Carrigrohane Road will no longer have a bus serving it. This road currently has an eastbound bus lane running the majority of the way on it. I believe this should be replaced by a two way, off road cycle track. There is currently a substandard, on road westbound cycle lane
    • Kilumney Road/Carrignarra Road/Castle Road/Flynn's Road in Ballincollig will now have a bus route serving them, Route 1A (Ballincollig - Mahon)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Acosta

Without proper infrastructure on all these routes, it's all just pie in the sky stuff.

It looks like it would be faster to walk into town from Togher once this new system starts up.

Advertisement