Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"No claims" question

Options
  • 02-11-2021 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Has probably been asked here before but I can't find it in the search function of "new" Boards.

My wife was in a minor crash back in March 2016. She was at fault and a claim was lodged against her. Has taken until now to settle - she got a letter last week to say it had been finalised. Was actually the first she'd heard about the whole thing since being told by the insurance company way back in 2016 to just leave things with them.

My own insurance expires next month. Question is related to how when it comes time to shop around for quotes, and if I see about adding her as a named driver (as I normally do). The usual question is along the lines of "has this driver had any claims in the past five years?". So - how do I answer? Do I say no, because the incident was more than five years ago? Or do I have to say yes, because claim was settled just last month?

Same thing will probably apply to her if she goes shopping around for insurance herself next year.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭skinnyfries

You’re better off advising them of the claim as it was only settled recently, rather than having another claim refused due to non-disclosure in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Have you (or your wife) informed either of your Insurers about the claim during the last 5 1/2 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Sure have.

My wife's insurers obviously knew about it anyway!

I also told my insurers about it when it first happened, and I've been with the same insurers ever since. Question now relates to if I go shopping around for my next renewal, though. Am inclined to think best thing to do is probably phone for quotes instead of looking online, but would be handy to know the right way of doing it if I do look online all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The truthful answer is that your named driver has not had any claims made against them in the past 5 years.

The question asked by Insurers is not "do you , or any named drivers, have any claims settled in the past 5 years ? ".

If you have informed your Insurers of this claim when it arose they have had their opportunity to extract money from you since 03/'16.

I know what I would be answering....

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Blub123

You answer No.

The accident occurred over 5 years ago.

Your wife has been penalised with the open claim since the accident date as would u have been if you had had your wife on your policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Thanks both.

There's every chance I'll end up staying with my own crowd anyway, as I reckon I'm one of the lucky ones in that my premium has remained fairly static over the last five years anyway, and I'm happy enough with it.

It's just that I haven't done much (if any) shopping around in the past five years, since I couldn't answer "no" to that question. So was just wondering what I can do this time, and the right way to do it.

Think I'll seek quotes online on that basis then, but if tempted to switch insurers, will phone them too, to make sure all's okay.

Thanks again.

Advertisement